Containment Association Attribute Inheritance

09-01-2020 04:23 AM
AnneSanta_Maria1
New Contributor III

Good Morning,

As we continue down our road map to implementing a utility network with our electrical system, we have run into a question about containers. Is there any way for all objects in a container to inherit the asset name or information of that container? So if we have a collection of assemblies, devices, and lines that reside in Substation 0001, can all those assets in the container inherit the name Substation 0001.

Honestly, this is something the end user is asking about and may not be best practice in the utility network, but I am still so new to figuring out the ins and outs of the utility network that I am not sure what is and is not best practice. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi santamaa,

You need to develop an attribute rule using Arcade for the inherent "substation name" for all the content assets that contained by a Substation Container.

Hope this will help you.

Manoj

AnneSanta_Maria1
New Contributor III

It took me some time to respond to this, but are there any examples out there of a similar attribute rule using Arcade, I've been able to find a few related to creating new features and associating information as outlined here: Advanced Attribute Rules – Creating Utility Network Associations with attribute Rules, but not much about calculations with existing features. 

Also is there any way to mass associate content to their containers. So lets say we have 60 substations and each of those has associated content, is there any way to avoid having to click on each feature and just mass associate content by container. We are loading data into our asset package using the out of the box ESRI data loading tools and there is no way to do that beforehand. Manoj Patil

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor
AnneSanta_Maria1
New Contributor III

I will try that out, Thank you!

0 Kudos