Select to view content in your preferred language

Configuring Subnetwork with no Spatial Object

Jump to solution
01-05-2023 02:57 AM
chiaramallegni_84
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,
I'm working with ESRI Solution Communications Utility Network Foundation which massively uses no spatial Objects, for example Tier communication Circuits and switch are composed only of no Spatial Objects.

I need to generate the feature in the FC Communication Subnetline deriving from the path of the Strands (Edge Object) contained in the Cable (Line), starting from subnetwork Controller Connector and Switch which are No Spatial Object belonging to the Tier Communication Circuit and Switch.

It's possible to do it?

How can I configure the model to get this result when I call GP the update subnetwork?

Thank's a lot!

Chiara

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Here is a version of the subnetwork aggregator that might work for this use case.  

You must create a trace configuration based on the subnetwork definition, but select Include Container.  Add a tag to that Configuration call SubnetworkOverride and then another tag, this one can be anything.

This toolbox also has the trace to trace config tool which will help set up the trace config.  Fill out a Subnetwork Trace with the properties you want, make sure to select Include Containers.  Copy that python and you can input that into the trace to trace config tool(in the same attached toolbox).  Make sure to fill out the tags of SubnetworkOverride and something else.  Tags are separated by new lines, not commas.

You will select that other tag when you run the tool

MikeMillerGIS_1-1672997131983.png

UtilityDataManagementSupport.atbx

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MikeMillerGIS

We cannot do this with update subnetwork, but we can do this with a Trace.  You can run a subnetwork trace and select Include Containers and Aggregated Geometry.  This will return a line for the containers, so the cables, the strand is in.

MikeMillerGIS_0-1672918283025.png

We have created a tool, that will build the aggregated geometry for your subnetworks, but it does not allow you to override settings of a subnetwork definition, but we could look at exposing that if that will help you

MikeMillerGIS_1-1672918563903.png

We also have a batch trace that might work too, but that uses a trace configuration, so we would need to make a trace configuration per subnetwork definition, that includes content, and then you would need to pass a series of starting points into it.  I am leaning towards providing some overrides in the Subnetwork Aggregator

You can find Batch Trace and Subnetwork Aggregator here - https://github.com/Esri/Utility-Data-Management-Support-Tools

chiaramallegni_84
New Contributor II

Thanks a lot for the quick response, I appreciate it :).
I tried to use the tool you recommended but, unless I messed something up, the result is a geometry with length 0.
I believe that in the hierarchical communication network that uses strands as non-spatial objects it is really useful to be able to visualize the subnetlines as feature, built with the related strand (cable) containers like trace does. Could be a new idea 🙂

Anyway, Thank's again.

chiaramallegni_84_0-1672930785854.png

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Yes, the tool currently only uses the subnetwork definition, which does not have Include Containers checked because we do not want to burden Update Subnetwork writing all the subnetwork names to the cable.  I have an idea on how to enhance the tool to use a alternative subnetwork definition.  If I get I working, I will update this post with a link to the tool.  For now, you need to run trace.

MikeMillerGIS

Here is a version of the subnetwork aggregator that might work for this use case.  

You must create a trace configuration based on the subnetwork definition, but select Include Container.  Add a tag to that Configuration call SubnetworkOverride and then another tag, this one can be anything.

This toolbox also has the trace to trace config tool which will help set up the trace config.  Fill out a Subnetwork Trace with the properties you want, make sure to select Include Containers.  Copy that python and you can input that into the trace to trace config tool(in the same attached toolbox).  Make sure to fill out the tags of SubnetworkOverride and something else.  Tags are separated by new lines, not commas.

You will select that other tag when you run the tool

MikeMillerGIS_1-1672997131983.png

UtilityDataManagementSupport.atbx

0 Kudos
chiaramallegni_84
New Contributor II

Dear MikeMiller, 

Thanks a lot for your solution. It's really useful. 

Unfortunately the necessary option "include up to first spatial content" which allows to select only cables that contain strands (excluding structure) is avaiable only for Trace configuration tool, not for set Subnetowrk Definition in whitch there is only the "include container" option. The result of your "subnetwok aggregator" tool polyline then includes the structure, not only the cable that is the necessary container.

chiaramallegni_84_1-1673260918044.png

chiaramallegni_84_2-1673260956092.png

For better understandig the first is the result of aggregator (green line - 11 part), and the second the trace (selection - 3 cable):

chiaramallegni_84_1-1673282063968.png

chiaramallegni_84_0-1673282021913.png

Chiara

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

This tool does not require changing the subnetwork definition.  It will use a trace configuration to override the subnetwork definition.  This is identified by tags.

0 Kudos
chiaramallegni_84
New Contributor II

Hi Mike, 

I tried to follow your suggestion. Without changing subnetwork definition the result is still a null polyline (lenght = 0). 

We also noticed that the FC output has no M, which is useful for LRS. Is there a way to switch output and add it?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Please export your trace configuration to csv so I can see what is going on.  Also, share a screen shot or the python call for how you ran the tool.  I am suspecting that it is not finding the trace config correctly 

0 Kudos
chiaramallegni_84
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

First of all an important information we are working with release 2.9.4. 

following your request:

Trace configuration: 

chiaramallegni_84_0-1673446712632.png

chiaramallegni_84_3-1673448140971.png

subnetwork_aggregator:

chiaramallegni_84_2-1673447072357.png

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos