Select to view content in your preferred language

Associating a Switch to a Junction to block connectivity

10-14-2022 10:46 AM
MaxCushner
New Contributor

I am trying to figure out if a switch associated to a single junction can have it's Open/Closed connectivity pass through that junction. 

In the past (due to a VERY niche issue with a small local utility), we had a line end at the end of each line segment. In scenarios like this, where we had two coindicant line ends, we offset them by a Z value and associated the switches to each line end. In that way, because there was a physical break between the lines (I assume), the switch's functionality passed through to the network and the separate subnetworks were able to build. 

I'm wondering if we can reduce the complexity a bit by taking a single junction that meets both lines, associating a switch to it, and having the function hold so that the subnetworks do not bleed into each other? I have tried doing this in Pro a few times but it doesn't appear to be working. Coming here for a sanity check and/or advice on how to tweak the set up so it works. 

Any advice is appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

The simplest is to move the switch to the end of each line and remove the line end.  If you try to associate the two line ends to one terminal, you are bypassing the switch.  The lines ends would need to be associated with different terminals for the switch to break the current.

0 Kudos
MaxCushner
New Contributor

Mike, if we were to replace the Disconnect Switch with Load Break switches, could that work? I've noticed when setting Association Rules that Load Breaks require you to specify an SS:S1 or SS:S2 terminal, but Disconnects are Single Terminal only. 

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

It could, but I am pretty sure in the most recent model, we made all switch have terminals.  

0 Kudos