Set Terminal Configuration tool fails

Jump to solution
10-17-2022 11:56 AM
SSMIC3038
Occasional Contributor III

I've added a new terminal configuration in our UN, now I need to assign it to an asset. Using the Set Terminal Configuration tool errors out with this message:

ERROR 002571: Operation is not allowed once the topology has been enabled.

I'm confused by that because all the documentation I read says that this tool can definitely be run after the initial topology enable.

I'm connected as DB owner, portal owner, default version. topology is disabled.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

This is expected behavior.  I am not sure you can change from single terminal to a different terminal after initial topo is enabled.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RichardKoch
New Contributor III

@SSMIC3038 I think you found a glitch in the ESRI Matrix. according to these two references. 

Set Terminal Configuration (Utility Network)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Add Terminal Configuration (Utility Network)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

Topology has to be DISABLED. 

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038

I think perhaps you're reading the post a bit wrong:
- the tool error is saying it can't be run once the database has had the initial topology enabled,

- there are a couple of tools that can't be run after you set up the db and initially enable topology, but the Set Terminal Configuration tool is not one of those tools, per the screenshot

- I have the topology disabled when running the tool

0 Kudos
RichardKoch
New Contributor III

@SSMIC3038 you are correct... I did misread. apologies. I will say that in the Set tool are the basic must be met parameters. Being the portal owner of the target UN and such. I know also when our developer has done work they stop all services and such as well.  

Is this a brand new asset? I would think with topology disabled it would not matter, but an existing type going from single to multi terminal could also perhaps cause errors. 

Shooting for what kind of things might be making it think topology is still there when you have it disabled. 

Richard

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038

The error message isn't about topology currently being enabled or disabled. The error message pertains to the initial enabling of topology on the database.

Certain process can only be run prior to enabling the topology the first time - but this tool is not one of them, somehow it thinks it is.

It's not about current topology state, it's about post initial enable. I want to confirm this for other viewers.

0 Kudos
RichardKoch
New Contributor III

Correct. so either ESRI made a change and you cannot do the set past initial enablement (unlikely).

We took several of our devices from single to two terminal. I do seem to recall the vendor had to republish the service after doing so. 

Richard

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

I believe you are running into this situation:

If the device/junctionobect has an existing terminal configuration set(not single terminal) and topology has been enable, you cannot change it to another terminal configuration even when you disable topology.

The same goes for a few things, like AssetGroup/AssetType.  You can change them, but not after the initial enablement of topo.

0 Kudos
RichardKoch
New Contributor III

@MikeMillerGIS great suggestion. 

I would see Mikes suggestion as more of a bug as it would force the creation of a new asset and migration of data if you wanted to change terminals. 

@SSMIC3038 please let us know if you discover a solution or any further clarity you are able to provide on the changes being made. Single to multiple terminals? can you create new assets and change their terminals? basic troubleshooting process of elimination may help us figure out where the issue is coming from. 

0 Kudos
SSMIC3038

Mike, thanks for the input, can you confirm if this is normal behavior?

if so, just wondering what best practices might be since determining all terminals versus assets at the commencement of a project likely won't always happen. The foundation models have some of these set by default, perhaps if a client isn't prepared to commit to development of a specific subnetwork initially then the terminal configurations for those assets per tier should be deleted?

Assuming if no terminal configuration is set to an asset group/type initially that they still can be set later, after initial topology enablement. Or does all this have to be set before initial topology enable no matter what?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

This is expected behavior.  I am not sure you can change from single terminal to a different terminal after initial topo is enabled.  

0 Kudos