Survey123 with some unique pre-populated fields, send to specific emails

Jump to solution
11-03-2020 10:08 AM
AmberTobin
New Contributor III

I have a survey that I want to send to 900 people. I want to pre-populate some of the information shown on the survey with information I have stored about each individual in my database, similar to a mail merge. I don’t want the other 899 users to be able to see information about other people nor do I want a drop-down list of 900 options. Ideally, I would like to pulldata from the feature service but can create a csv file to do it.

Simple Example. I want to survey 5 ice cream stands.

Here is the information I have on each stand and the questions I want to ask:

Stand ID

Owner Name

Owner Email

Q1 How many ice creams did you sell

Q2 How much was your cost

Q3 How much was your profit

Bob

bob@domain.com

Mary

mary@domain.com

Chris

chris@domain.com

Lisa

lisa@domain.com

Amy

amy@domain.com

In my survey I want to pre-populate the Stand ID and Owner Name and then send the survey to each Owner Email. Is this possible? If so how would I go about doing it?

Some things to keep in mind:

The Owner doesn’t know their Stand ID as it is unique to my database that they can’t see. However, I do want it shown on my survey.

I don’t want the Owners to know who else is being surveyed.

I want the survey to display unique information about the person.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Amber Tobin‌, 

Please check out our Early Adopter Community as we just posted some Beta builds that automate CSV updating and introduce a workflow for working with Feature Service data in Survey123 Surveys

I am not sure if you intend on your survey to be taken in the Field App or through the Webform, but if you are planning on using the Survey123 Website you can use the Webform URL Parameters to populate the stand information. Also if you don't want those folks to know what is being passed through the Webform URL Parameters you can also encode the URL parameters.

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Amber Tobin‌, 

Please check out our Early Adopter Community as we just posted some Beta builds that automate CSV updating and introduce a workflow for working with Feature Service data in Survey123 Surveys

I am not sure if you intend on your survey to be taken in the Field App or through the Webform, but if you are planning on using the Survey123 Website you can use the Webform URL Parameters to populate the stand information. Also if you don't want those folks to know what is being passed through the Webform URL Parameters you can also encode the URL parameters.

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
AmberTobin
New Contributor III

Zach this is amazing! Thank you so much! After I read the Web form URL parameters blog I was able to put together a prototype that we are testing with a mail merge and it is looking promising! 

0 Kudos