Survey123 version 3.12.274 Pulldata() functionality changes?

Jump to solution
02-25-2021 09:37 AM
BamJam
by
New Contributor III

Hello Survey123 Community and @JamesTedrick or @IsmaelChivite 

We have a form that has been in use for months that utilizes the pull data functionality to populate some fields in the form based on a barcode scan. 

We have had several users call that are not getting data populated in those fields after a barcode scan.  All our users are using iOS devices.  We have isolated this issue to users that have version 3.12.274 of Survey123.  We've verified that the necessary .csv file is in the media folder within the Portal item and that the data is properly populated in the file itself.  Furthermore, users that are still on 3.11.164 are able to scan and get the necessary fields populated...even after updating the form itself.  So, it seems to be an issue with version 3.12.274.

I have not been able to find any information on version 3.12.274.  Is there a change in the pulldata() functionality? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @BamJam

Thank you for passing along the XLSForm and associated CSV. I had tested on my end and narrowed the issue down to the column header missing for column A in the CSV. Once I added a column header (ID for example), saved the CSV, and refreshed the survey the pulldata() functions worked as expected. 

The reason it broke with 3.12 was because we switched to a database approach for managing content, and since the column header was missing the CSV wasn't being imported into the database. 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

49 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @BamJam ,

Can you provide a sample of the form and lookup you are using?  you can e-mail me directly at jtedrick AT esri.com

0 Kudos
BamJam
by
New Contributor III

Sent via email...

Thanks

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @BamJam

Thank you for passing along the XLSForm and associated CSV. I had tested on my end and narrowed the issue down to the column header missing for column A in the CSV. Once I added a column header (ID for example), saved the CSV, and refreshed the survey the pulldata() functions worked as expected. 

The reason it broke with 3.12 was because we switched to a database approach for managing content, and since the column header was missing the CSV wasn't being imported into the database. 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
BamJam
by
New Contributor III

Thank you guys for such a quick response and solution.  We create the .csv file using Pandas in a python script.  A simple fix for this was to set index=False when creating the .csv file, which eliminated the empty header in column A.  Would not have known to apply that change without your testing and solution.

Thanks again!

Brandon

0 Kudos
JarrettCziesch1
New Contributor II

I simply renamed the column A header and re-saved, then published it again (just like your description) and it appears to be working with the pull data functions again. fingers crossed.

Thanks, 

Jarrett

0 Kudos
JarrettCziesch1
New Contributor II

Nope. public facing surveys are not still working with pull data functions within the .csv. I noticed the new version 3.12 does not allow JavaScript functions for public surveys either. 

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JarrettCziesch1,

Please note JavaScript functions do not work with public surveys. This isn't a new limitation of 3.12 this has been a limitation since their implementation at 3.10. Please refer to the known limitations section of the JavaScript functions documentation for reference: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/pulldatajavascript.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_2A1B...

Please refer to this link for the ArcGIS Ideas post for supporting JavaScript functions on public surveys and the associated ENH number. 

As for the pulldata using a CSV not working please check the CSV to ensure none of the column headers use any of these reserved words: https://www.sqlite.org/lang_keywords.html

If none of the column headers use any of those reserved words would I be able to obtain a copy of the survey and the CSV for testing on my end? Please feel free to send it to ZSutherby@esri.com and I'll be happy to take a look into the behavior.

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
JarrettCziesch1
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue with the pull data function for reverse geocoding on our public facing surveys. 

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @JarrettCziesch1

For reverse geocoding on public facing surveys is the issue specific to the Webform, Field App, or both? 

If the behavior is present in the Webform please open the F12 developer tools in your browser and select the Network tab. When you try to run the reverse geocode if you select the request that is being send to the geocode service is the response "token required"? 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos