Survey123 software updates

12-05-2016 05:28 PM
PhilJensen
New Contributor II

I am a new user of Survey123.  How does one find out when newer versions of Survey123 and Survey123 Connect become available? Do you have to keep checking the ESRI site? Also, to install a newer version of either product, do you have to uninstall the one you have and then download and install the current version?  I don't see any means of doing this from within the software (like a "check for updates" menu option, etc.).  Also, I've tried to do updates without uninstalling the prior version and it didn't allow me to overwrite the existing version that was on my computer.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Phil,

For the mobile applications, updates are handled via the respective app stores.  We are implementing version checking in out next release of Survey123 Connect; after installing that version, you will receive a notification in the area by the version number when a new release has been posted. We don't have automated uninstallation yet, but will be working to include that feature in a future release.

PhilJensen1
New Contributor

Hi James,

Thank you for your reply. Let me add some additional information. I understand the update process for the mobile apps through the iTunes App Store.  My question is more about updating the software on a computer, laptop or tablet that is running a version of Windows (7x and 10x, specifically).  The only way I have been able to verify that newer versions exist for those is by checking on the ESRI site.  When I try to install a newer version I've downloaded, it won't overwrite the older version and complete the operation because it says the program already exists.  So, I'm assuming I have to uninstall the previous version before trying to install an update.  Is this correct?  Will the version checking and automated uninstallation features you described change this process in the future?  Thank you again for any info you can offer.  I am a rookie at this and appreciate your understanding!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Phil,

Yes, currently Survey123 Connect and Survey123 must be manually uninstalled and reinstalled with a new version on PC, Mac, and Linux.  The version checking will be coming to Survey123 Connect only (though when Survey123 Connect is updated, Survey123 is also updated and should be downloaded).  At least for now it will still require the manual uninstall/install process.  We are planning to implement automatic uninstallation, but that is still in the future.

PhilJensen1
New Contributor

Hi James,

Thank you again for explaining the update processes for Survey123 and Survey123 Connect. I’ll look forward to the new features in future updates. At least now I understand what I need to do until those become available.

I am just beginning to learn about and experiment with these two ESRI products. I am always searching for ways to bring GIS into my workplace to improve our operational processes and make some things more efficient. There are lots of exciting things happening with GIS right now, so it’s definitely an interesting time. Thank you again!

Phil

Phil Jensen │ Airport Operations Supervisor

Omaha Airport Authority

4501 Abbott Drive, Suite 2300 │Omaha, NE 68110

phil.jensen@flyoma.com<mailto:phil.jensen@flyoma.com>

P: (402) 661-8070 │F: (402) 661-8075 │ Duty Cell: (402) 510-6769

Our mission is to provide premier customer service and airport facilities through operational excellence.

0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

Will uninstalling older versions of Survey123 delete any existing surveys saved on the PC?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Joe,

No uninstallation of Survey123 does not delete the data or survey designs said on the PC.