Survey123 offline basemaps: why choose TPK or MMPK format?

Jump to solution
05-04-2021 12:38 AM
HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Good morning, Survey123 community!

I used to provide our fieldworkers with TPK files for offline use. My organization is now using standard maps in Survey123, so I see MMPK could also be used as offline basemaps....  but I cannot find any information on why or how I would choose MMPK over TPK (or TPK over MMPK).

Are there any significant differences between TPK and MMPK formats, in terms of functionality or performance ?

Is one better suited to particular use cases, IT environment, or other criteria?

Many thanks for your insights & advice!

With kind regards,

Hélène

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @HélèneTouyéras,

TPK files are raster tile packages (raster basemaps), there are no vector layers or additional information in the package, everything is included in a raster tile image only.

MMPK files are mobile map pakcgaes, these can contain both raster or vector basemaps and include additional vector layers. There are many advantages to using MMPK files over TPK, mostly the data package size, the sharpness and clarity of the vector information compared to raster, and in many cases the speed and performance of viewing large datasets.

You can find out more about MMPK files here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/mobile-map-package.htm

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @HélèneTouyéras,

TPK files are raster tile packages (raster basemaps), there are no vector layers or additional information in the package, everything is included in a raster tile image only.

MMPK files are mobile map pakcgaes, these can contain both raster or vector basemaps and include additional vector layers. There are many advantages to using MMPK files over TPK, mostly the data package size, the sharpness and clarity of the vector information compared to raster, and in many cases the speed and performance of viewing large datasets.

You can find out more about MMPK files here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/sharing/overview/mobile-map-package.htm

Regards,

Phil.

HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Brilliant!

Many thanks, @Anonymous User, for this fast and very informative reply! 👍