Sum and multiple repeat question, mean estimate

Jump to solution
12-03-2020 07:02 AM
FedericoRiet_Sapriza
New Contributor III

Hi,

Is have been able to sum repeated question.

However, I have an unresolved issue, I have 7 repeated integer questions, that I need to sum in order to estimate the mean.  I used the count  function so I can then estimate the mean = total sum / total count answer question.

The problem is that not always the 7 repeated questions will have a response, so that value will be NA or 0. I try to use coalesce to solve this issue, but is not working.

I don't want the 0 value counted in the count function towards estimating the mean.

I have try to get around this issue.

Example:

coalesce(sum(${producto_1.1.1})+sum(${producto_1.1.2})+sum(${producto_1.1.3}),0)....

or

sum(coalesce(${producto_1.1.1},0))+sum(coalesce(${producto_1.1.2},0)).....

I'm attaching the XLSForm

@DougBrowning  @IsmaelChivite 

Cheers,

Federico

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I set both bind and esri bind and it works.

DougBrowning_0-1607369868792.png

DougBrowning_1-1607369886740.png

Bind is for within the form and esri bind is the data storage so you often need both.  Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

In addition to Doug's solution, note that you can apply the 'hidden' appearance to any question type. For example, for Sum of Values, you could use the 'integer' question type and apply the hidden appearance. The question will work like a regular integer question, just not shown on the form. When using the 'hidden' appearance, there is no need to set the bind::type or bind::esri:fieldType as these are inherited from the question type.

For the 'calculate' and 'hidden' question types the field/bind type is string by default, so Doug's solution is the way to go when using these.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What exactly is not working.  Seems to work fine to me.

DougBrowning_0-1607026237658.png

Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @FedericoRiet_Sapriza 

It sounds like you want to ignore from the count any zero values (where the user has input 0 on the range slider), is that right?

The count() function counts all instances of a repeat question that contain a value (that includes 0). One option that might work is to omit the records where the value is zero using an if() statement. Please see attached example. Optionally, you could set the field type for the range questions to null to omit them from the feature layer to avoid duplicate data.

One thing to note is that with this example, if the user enters 0 for the range question, it gets converted to a blank ''. If it's important to retain the zero, an alternative could be to make the second field in the repeat a counter, using something like if(${producto_1_1_1}>0,1,0) and then use sum() in the contar_respe field to get the total number of non-zero entries.

Best,

Jim

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the sample I posted I filled out 3 of 7 fields and the count seemed to work.  That is why I asked what the exact issue is.  Range questions start as blank not 0.  Count ignores blank automatically so it all just works.

FedericoRiet_Sapriza
New Contributor III

Dear @DougBrowning and @Jim-Moore 

thanks so much for your input and help.

I uploaded the XLSForm you send and works fine; however, if I want to hide these calculations from the form e.i. Value, Sum of Values, Count of Repeat (see image below, red arrow) the calculation goes to **bleep**.

I try with "hidden" and "calculations" in the type column and also in the bind::esri:fieldType

column I selected "esriFieldTypeInteger". But no luck, I don't why this is happening?

Image 1:

iamge1.jpg

Image 2: when I use calculate in type column in row 8

iamge2.jpg

Cheers,

Federico

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I set both bind and esri bind and it works.

DougBrowning_0-1607369868792.png

DougBrowning_1-1607369886740.png

Bind is for within the form and esri bind is the data storage so you often need both.  Hope that helps.

Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

In addition to Doug's solution, note that you can apply the 'hidden' appearance to any question type. For example, for Sum of Values, you could use the 'integer' question type and apply the hidden appearance. The question will work like a regular integer question, just not shown on the form. When using the 'hidden' appearance, there is no need to set the bind::type or bind::esri:fieldType as these are inherited from the question type.

For the 'calculate' and 'hidden' question types the field/bind type is string by default, so Doug's solution is the way to go when using these.

FedericoRiet_Sapriza
New Contributor III

Thanks @DougBrowning and @Jim-Moore 

for your input and help, you guys rock!!!

0 Kudos