Select to view content in your preferred language

S123 unable to edit all fields in submitted forms

Jump to solution
Wednesday
OrrinFeril
New Contributor III

I'll get this started with: I'm relatively new to using Survey123, so this could be a simple fix.

Most of my surveys have been created using the web developer tool then linking them to Make to automate handling of reports etc. This seems to work just fine.

However, I noticed something odd a few days ago. Recently, I've created a new survey using ESRI's Survey123 Connect application. I noticed that once a survey is submitted, the end user cannot fully edit the survey on the website in the form view. In previous surveys developed on the web developer, users can fully edit the surveys on the website. Is this a setting somewhere?

We've noticed that we can see the full data payload in the data table at the bottom and in the form view on the right, but when we go to edit the survey, we cannot see all of the form fields. 

Further what's interesting is that when the Survey payload makes it to Make, not all of the fields are available for query. I don't know if these two things are related but it only applies to this new survey that was developed in S123 Connect. 

Secondary, we can't seem to find a way to delete pictures from this survey.

Any help would be appreciated as this is creating a bottleneck in our workflow.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No you just need to change all your calculations now too that you change the field name.  file_ is probably something like file_something now.  Just file may be a reserved word.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
OrrinFeril
New Contributor III

Well, good news/bad news.  I updated the field names to remove the _.  This creates a new field and keeps the old data in your data table. I didn't like having the old fields in the data table as I could predict it would confuse staff when editing the data table in the future. So I went through the process of copying the data from the old fields into the new fields using Calculate Field in ArcGIS Pro. This worked great. I then proceeded to go into delete the old fields in the data tab of AGOL for the hosted layer. This worked fine.

Bad news: When I went in to look at old data or edit old data in the survey, I was met with several errors because the survey was still referencing old data fields that were now deleted. 

So I went through the process of exporting the data to Excel and file geodatabase (per post). Then went through this process to extract the photos (per post). This worked great as I didn't want to lose old data.

I then used the XLSX template to create a new S123 survey in Connect. This gave me a fresh data table and my staff is now in the process of resubmitting old surveys to the new survey. Once this is complete and we verify old data is transferred, we'll delete the old survey and corresponding hosted features in AGOL.

Good news: The new survey that incorporates the fixes @DougBrowning suggested operates the way we want. We can see all data fields if we edit the survey in the form view. Secondly, this also fixed the issue with Make and the full payload is flowing through to our scenarios.

I know this was a long explanation of what we went through but I wanted to update the post with our resolution. Another user wouldn't have to do everything with the export if they weren't concerned about losing old data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Go to https://survey123.arcgis.com/ and then the Collaborate tab and you can set all of this.  Hope that helps

0 Kudos
OrrinFeril
New Contributor III

This is not the issue. Editing is enabled for our organization. Maybe my title was a little off. Users have the ability to edit, but they do not see all of the fields in the survey when they edit online.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Oh ok.  I wonder if it is a question type, maybe a reserved word being used?  Can you post the form?

0 Kudos
OrrinFeril
New Contributor III

Here's the XLSX form.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Well nothing really jumps out at me unless it is the fields that end in _?  

0 Kudos
OrrinFeril
New Contributor III

In form view on the right, it appears to trim the survey right after the "location" question. This question is after the first field that ends in _ (file_). So I don't think this is the hang up in the survey. Still open to ideas.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have seen fields ending in _ but not starting.  Overall not a good idea and I would change all those field names.  Special chars are almost always a problem.  Plus _ is a special SQL char so this will get you for years to come.

0 Kudos
OrrinFeril
New Contributor III

Interesting, I haven't thought of that since using the web developer, I never had an issue with the _ in the field names. So this morning, I took your advice and am trying to update the XLSX file by removing the _.  

Now I'm presented with a new issue "Error converting XLSForm - There has been a problem trying to replace ${file_} with the XPath to the survey element named 'file_'. There is no survey element with this name. 

Do I need to start a new survey from scratch using the updated XLSX form?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

No you just need to change all your calculations now too that you change the field name.  file_ is probably something like file_something now.  Just file may be a reserved word.

0 Kudos