Select to view content in your preferred language

Working on Survey123 Conditional Report Template with error ...undefined (reading 'value')

08-27-2024 12:57 PM
Lisa_G
by
Emerging Contributor

Hello, I have been working on a conditional report template for a Survey123 form. I have managed to eliminate all errors received so far, except for this last error.  Usually this error means something is up with quotation marks being the incorrect type. I went through my template and replaced all quote marks by copying and pasting from 'Quick Reference'. The form is a nested triple repeat so I figure this error may have something to do with the repeats. I can successfully upload the template, but when I attempt to run a test print, I get this error - unless the form I am printing only has one child, then it will print. When the report has multiple children, it fails. I really need some direction on how to capture the repeats in the report template. I have attached the template and the xls sheet.  Thank you for any assistance!  

Lisa_G_0-1724787926292.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

This error could be a bunch of things. Did you make this template yourself specifically for this survey, or is this a random decade old template that you converted into a feature report? Just last week I was battling with an old client template that kept giving me the error you see for seemingly no reason. I gave up, remade it from scratch to look exactly like the original, and everything worked after that.

Unfortunately, you are using capitals in your names so I cannot recreate this on my end through Connect. No actual testing means I can only do a visual sweep, which isn't always sufficient, unfortunately.

appearance:multiline needs to be on a new line. E.g., turn this...

abureaux_0-1724856831976.png

into this...

abureaux_1-1724856855565.png

Not a syntax issue, but it looks like you will run into blank space issues with all that dynamic content. If you swap your IF() statements from this...

abureaux_2-1724857288676.png

to something like this...

abureaux_3-1724857323108.png

You wont have as many blank spaces.

Didn't see anything else that jumped out at me. Again, a visual sweep isn't as good as actually testing, so there's a decent change I missed something.

Lisa_G
by
Emerging Contributor

Hi abureaux,

Thanks for your response. Regarding the report template, it's not an old template. It's one I created myself this week. When I run into errors on the template, I usually start all over again from scratch and it usually helps. But in this case, I figure I don't have experience with how to set up repeats in a report template. I'm researching for help on the repeats. Thank you for the example you gave on how not to have so many blank spaces. I used the dynamic content approach as it was the only way I could get a photo identified in a report. I will definitely clean up all my photo questions as you had suggested, that is super helpful! I guess I need an example on report template repeats. Many thanks again, Lisa

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

If this is a template you made yourself, then you are likely fine on that front. I only had to mention it because old templates can sometimes cause issues. But regardless, this word file looked well put together, so I didn't suspect that was the issue in this case.

Again, I wish I could test this myself. Best of luck with troubleshooting!

If you didn't already know this, I wanted to add on one thing about IF() statements in Feature Reports (this is mainly what I ended up looking for):

1. An IF() statement must start and end either inside or outside a table. E.g., You cannot start the IF() statement inside a table and end it outside the table. This will result in an error.
    abureaux_3-1724861093205.png
  2. IF() statements within tables must start and end as the first and list things within the table or the table row
    abureaux_4-1724861172921.png

0 Kudos
Lisa_G
by
Emerging Contributor

Hi abureaux,

Thanks again for the IF statement examples. I learned by trial and error myself but it is great to see another approach. Self learning can have gaps! I do have a question for you on how using capital names affects the ability to recreate on Connect? I have read quite a bit on Survey123 but I haven't come across lower case names yet. Can you explain a little further? I would appreciate that!  Many thanks, Merci, Lisa

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

It's kind of a silly limitation.

But, when creating a Feature Layer via Connect in an Enterprise environment, upper case letters are not permitted:

abureaux_0-1725028796151.png

However, if the layer is published from, say, ArcPro, and the names have capitals, you can create a survey based off that layer without issue.

I am also fairly sure that this limitation doesn't exist for AGO at all. So, it's really just this one niche use-case where capitals are an issue. I really hope they resolve that someday.

abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Meant to add, but playing 20-quesions with your Feature Report is never a bad thing. Cut out half the content, see if the error goes away. Get the Feature Report to a point that it parses successfully. Then, start adding content back in until it breaks.

Generally, this works very well. I can get through a Feature Report that's a few hundred pages long relatively quickly doing this.

However, I will add that this method doesn't work well if the word file you are using is just plain buggered. I've found a few times now that converting old word templates that someone made many years ago into a Feature Report doesn't always yield best results. In those few cases, I recreate the word file from scratch to look like the original. As a last resort it's worked every time.

0 Kudos