pull data from external CSV in Survey123

03-16-2021 05:46 AM
DirkPeterson2
New Contributor III

I am working on a survey we will be using to collect pipeline data.  We use a device that will calculate the yield strength and tensile strength of pipe exposed in the trench during an integrity dig.  The output is an Excel document.  Is there a way to pull the data into S123 so it does not have to be typed by hand?  We are looking to reduce human error wherever we can.  I have already looked at https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/use-existing-data-in-your-survey-the-pulldata-fu... , and that won't work because the data has to be loaded to the Media folder prior to publishing.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why can you not add the file to the media folder?  It works great.

There is a way to read a CSV from AGOL or a feature service that is still in beta.  Of course you would need internet access.  It is still early adopter so take a look there.   https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

hope that helps

0 Kudos
DirkPeterson2
New Contributor III

They are taking the measurements in the field and want to add them to the survey.  I looked at the files for my surveys on my iPad, and did not see a Media folder like there is when I look on my PC.  Is there somewhere in the file structure we could put the csv and the survey would be able to pull the data?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this Connect or the web builder?  In Connect you add files to the media folder and they get pushed to the tablet for you.  

On a PC using Connect it should look like this.

DougBrowning_0-1615913454756.png

I can then do lookups to all of these files.  I do what you are describing all the time.  

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
DirkPeterson2
New Contributor III

I believe you are setting these up before a survey is done.  What I am trying to do is pull data from a csv that is created by a machine in the field that determines yield strength and tensile strength.  Since there are quite a few numbers, I was hoping to be able to use pulldata to reduce any human error when typing in all the measurements taken in the field.

0 Kudos
ShariForbes
New Contributor III

Hi Doug. I wonder if you can help me. I've got my .csv in the media folder and the pull data function is working great in Survey123 Connect prepopulating the questions. When I publish it to use in the web I get this error "FormLogicError: instance "CWAreas" does not exist in model". In addition, I've uploaded the CWAreas.csv to AGOL and linked it to the XLS form in Survey123 Connect with same error. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am not sure pulldata works on the web?  It used to not but not sure now.  You will have to look that up.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-web-form-not-recognizing-pulldata... 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

How would you physically move it from the device to the tablet?  That's the hard part unless I am not getting it right.

You could copy paste it from a USB stick if that is an option?

0 Kudos