Non-geospatial Surveys and Limited User Licenses

Jump to solution
11-30-2021 04:33 AM
RobertFord
New Contributor III

Good morning!

I have a couple questions about how others may have used Survey123 and how to deal with a finite number of licenses:

1. I was wondering how others have used Survey123 for non-geospatial things? We have a lot of forms in PDF and MS Word format and I have converted some to Survey123 that have no real geo component to them. I've heard it argued that Survey123 should ONLY be used for geospatial information. Our department has hundreds of forms that my admin is asking to convert to surveys.

2. I create reports using the Report feature, but ultimately need to get live or near-live data into a database to do some other analysis in Tableau and other non-ESRI software. The issue with using Survey123 is that each user needs their own account. My department of firefighters has over 1000 members that would need access to the forms I want to create and our agreement does not have enough licenses to go around. Would it be possible to make a survey "public" but still only allow certain individuals access to the data? I thought I remember another blog somewhere that talked about using a "password question" that would, upon entry, show the rest of the survey questions. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @RobertFord 

• Sharing accounts: Goes against 2.5.a.1 in the Esri Master License agreement
  • You may want to contact the Esri Public Safety team to discuss licensing options: publicsafetyinfo@esri.com  Esri has specific options for large deployments of Survey123 users within Public Safety. These options are available for both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise users.

On the topic of 'should I use Survey123 for non-spatial things', here is an argument opposite to what you heard so far: https://medium.com/@hutson.regan/why-you-should-use-survey-123-even-if-you-dont-care-about-location-...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Robert,

There a couple options...

1. Create a generic user account in AGOL for your users like "FireFighter" and then a standard password.  All of them should be able to use that same account to access the forms.

2. Upgrade your system and license agreement to Enterprise Portal and get free user accounts.  Not sure this would give you 1000 user accounts, but more than what you have now.  Contact ESRI business partner for a quote.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @RobertFord 

• Sharing accounts: Goes against 2.5.a.1 in the Esri Master License agreement
  • You may want to contact the Esri Public Safety team to discuss licensing options: publicsafetyinfo@esri.com  Esri has specific options for large deployments of Survey123 users within Public Safety. These options are available for both ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise users.

On the topic of 'should I use Survey123 for non-spatial things', here is an argument opposite to what you heard so far: https://medium.com/@hutson.regan/why-you-should-use-survey-123-even-if-you-dont-care-about-location-...

RobertFord
New Contributor III

Thank you @IsmaelChivite ! I will reach out to them and see what those options are!

0 Kudos