Pull data for dates not working in browser but works in Connect and mobile app

Jump to solution
05-18-2021 08:27 AM
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

When pulling data using the pulldata() function for date or dateTime types from a csv in the media file, the value is not pulled while using the survey in a browser; I tried the latest desktop versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, and none of them worked. The date value does pull inside of Survey123 Connect as well as the Survey123 app, and it is converted to the correct format (ex: 5/18/2021 in csv file comes in as 1262332800000). I know the pull data function in a browser is working as I can pull the date in the csv as a string type and view it inside of the survey without any issues.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

Hi @Waffle_House , I was able to get it working, but I honestly do not know what was happening. I tried starting a brand new survey just pulling dates in various formats and some of them worked, and others did not. It's a bit odd, but I am at least moving forward.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @MatthewBradbury, are there any blank columns in your CSV file?

0 Kudos
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

Hi @Waffle_House , I was able to get it working, but I honestly do not know what was happening. I tried starting a brand new survey just pulling dates in various formats and some of them worked, and others did not. It's a bit odd, but I am at least moving forward.

Waffle_House
Occasional Contributor II

Darn, well glad you got it working! Can you mark this post as answered?

0 Kudos
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

Hello @MatthewBradbury 

Could you share how you made it work? I posted a question yesterday, here is how I prepared my csv.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/pulldata-with-dates/m-p/1086371#M36345

Thanks.

0 Kudos
BrettCase
New Contributor

I am having this same issue.

it also seems that when i publish to ArcGIS Online that things are not being updated.

for instance i can completely delete the table that pulldata is referencing from my media folder. publish the form and somehow it is still pulling data from somewhere.

0 Kudos
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

It would be beneficial if we could see the related media files after the service has been published, though I imagine they are being stored in a different format. It would also be very useful if we could create a table on ArcGIS Online, and reference that in the surveys instead of a local spreadsheet.

0 Kudos
BrettCase
New Contributor
Hello,

My problem was related to the date field in my .csv in the media folder not being compatible with the date format in the browser.

I just eliminated the date field and it worked. I did not find a good work around.

0 Kudos
Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

I am having the same problem now, have something that was working for a couple of years (both app and browser).... I just noticed that the "pulldata" when the survey is done through the browser stopped working... I never changed anything in my workflow and it is still working as expected on mobile apps and connect... 

Has anyone solved this mystery?

0 Kudos
MatthewBradbury
New Contributor III

I can't remember how I resolved this, or if it just solved itself. You might try being explicit with how data-time values are brought in using Decimal Date Time. I know that the bowser version of Survey123 can only work in the date(decimal-date-time()) function. You can read more about it here:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/browser/create-surveys/decimaldatetime.htm

Good luck.

0 Kudos