Select to view content in your preferred language

Public Shared Surveys Not Allowing Sent Box Edits

3 weeks ago
JoshHabel
Occasional Contributor II

Has something changed recently with Public shared surveys so you can no longer edit and resend a sent survey??  I know this may not be a common workflow, but I have several public shared surveys where it is understood that the sender may need to on occasion make corrections to their sent survey.  This has always worked in the past but recently I've noticed that the survey field app now throws an error and will not send these surveys.  There is not error message it just references the survey instance fields.  I have double and triple checked all the permissions and sharing, and it still doesn't work.  I also checked with a logged in user and it works fine for them.  For now, I have switched these to allowing the "copy to new survey" option from the sent folder but this is not ideal.  I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this and maybe I'm just missing something?

Josh

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
AlopUlid
New Contributor

• Locked Sent Box: Once a survey is submitted through the app, the "Sent" box is often locked, meaning users can no longer make changes to their responses. This measure ensures that the data remains consistent from the moment it is collected, avoiding any post-submission alterations that could skew results.

• Data Integrity: The primary reason for restricting edits is to maintain the integrity of the survey data. Allowing changes after submission could lead to inconsistencies, making it difficult to trust the validity of the responses. This is particularly crucial for surveys used in research or official reports where data accuracy is paramount.

• Prevention of Tampering: Locking the "Sent" box prevents any potential tampering with responses after the fact. This is especially important in scenarios where survey results could influence decisions, policies, or other outcomes.

• App Design Limitations: Many survey apps are designed with these restrictions in place to streamline data collection and ensure that all users are working with the same set of rules. The inability to edit once a survey is submitted is a feature, not a bug, in these applications.

• Admin Controls: In some cases, app administrators may have the ability to make changes or unlock the "Sent" box for specific reasons. However, this is typically limited to situations where a legitimate error needs to be corrected, and even then, it’s often tightly controlled.

• User Experience: To help users avoid errors, many apps include a review step before final submission. This allows users to double-check their responses and make any necessary edits before locking in their answers. It’s crucial to take advantage of this step to ensure accuracy.

• Security Measures: The restriction on edits also serves as a security measure, ensuring that once data is collected, it cannot be altered by unauthorized parties. This is particularly important in environments where data privacy and security are a concern.

• Platform Consistency: Different survey platforms may have varying rules, but the general principle of locking the "Sent" box after submission is widely adopted. It creates a consistent user experience and helps in managing the data collection process effectively.

• Legal and Ethical Considerations: In some industries, allowing post-submission edits could raise legal or ethical concerns. For instance, in clinical trials or customer satisfaction surveys, altering data after submission could lead to misleading conclusions.

• Potential for Pre-Submission Edits: While post-submission edits are generally not allowed, most apps permit users to edit their responses before the final submission. This flexibility allows users to correct mistakes or update their answers as needed during the survey process.

• Review and Finalization: Users are typically encouraged to thoroughly review their responses before clicking the final submit button. This review process is critical because once the survey is submitted, the opportunity to make changes is usually gone.

• Best Practices: To avoid issues, it’s important to educate users on the importance of reviewing their responses carefully before submission. Additionally, understanding the app's specific rules around editing can help manage expectations and reduce frustration.

0 Kudos