Mapping with Survey123 within a polygon or admin unit

Jump to solution
09-14-2018 05:31 AM
Indra_SharanKC
New Contributor III

Is there a way to use ArcGIS online web map in Survey123? I need to search an administrative unit by its name from search window either on Survey123 app or on Survey123 web form, then once the admin unit flashes and zooms to its extent, i need to tap on the map within the boundary and identify a point location to fill up with its attributes data and then submit. The approach of using tiles does not seem fit in this case.

Thank you.

29 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Naomi, Doug,

The submission_URL should be the Feature Service's Item URL in ArcGIS Online.  This is of a pattern:

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/<ID_OF_THE_FEATURE_LAYER>

You can most easily get the ID of the feature layer by going to the Item Details page for the layer - you'll see the URL ends with id=<GUID> .  That GUID is what you need.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this a new change?  I have been using the /FeatureServer for years and it works just fine.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Found it.  We are both right.

Note that this is the url to the feature layer item, rather than the url of the feature service itslef.  In old versions of Survey123 we actually supported working directly with feature service urls, but when you let Survey123 Connect create your initial XLSForm design, the feature layer item url will always be used.  Right now, Survey123 supports feature service urls only for backwards compatibility. you should always use a url to the item!

What is weird is there is no easy way to get the URL that uses itemid.  How does survey123 expect you to get this URL?

If I go to the Rest page and look for the Service ItemId: then I can find the item id.  

Then I have to know to use this start https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/  and add that item id on at the end.

When you try and look at this URL I just get a blank page with API reference on it - which makes it seem wrong.

Is there a easier way to get this url?  When you do to the Item page of the service at the bottom it says URL and gives the /FeatureServer one. So it would make sense that is what you want.  Old way seemed a lot easier and less confusing.

For the poster I think it is this  Never use the Token that is just to get in for security

https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/988dddec82b9478ab2a89ac32058adb9

JamesTedrick

Hi Doug,

On the use of the item id - Survey123 needs to create a relationship between the form and the feature service, which is done in the Portal's API, hence the use of item ID.  Unfortunately, there's isn't a way to get the item ID from the feature service (and a service could be registered as multiple items in the portal).  

In most cases, the submission_url is generated automatically by Survey123 Connect when it creates a feature service.  As mentioned below, the easiest way to get the item ID is to copy it from the Item Details page; the rest of the URL is a set pattern shown in the documentation

NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

Great, the last URL didn't work for me.

Is the ID the first part of the second part which is super long?

I'm currently stuck between trying an example layer first, survey second and another example survey first, layer second.  But I've got errors happening both ways currently!

JamesTedrick

Hi Naomi,

The URL you have is the Feature Service's URL.  The easiest place to go to get the URL is the Item Details page in ArcGIS Online for the feature service:

BryceHancock
Occasional Contributor

Hi Doug,

In the process you describe above, what do you use or how do you create the new key in the geodatabase for the fieldmaps features: point, line, and polygon? Also, I currently have nearly 1000 records in Survey123 that are using the globalid relationship with Fieldmaps, how do I keep the relationship between fieldmaps and Survey123 with the old data after adding the new key?

Also, what happens if you need to make changes to the Survey123 form, i.e., editing or adding new fields and republishing? Will the relationship be maintained after republishing with the method you describe?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Indra_SharanKC @DougBrowning @NaomiBegg2 @AnthonyJonesRSK,

Just wanted to let you know with the upcoming 3.16 October Release of Survey123 we have extended the pulldata() function to now include spatial searches. You can find the latest announcements, documentation and test out the latest 3.16 beta builds via the Early Adopter Community to get early access to these builds.

Regards,

Phil.

AnthonyJonesRSK
Occasional Contributor II

This is great news and will prove very useful. Thanks Phil and to the wider Survey123 for all your efforts, it's much appreciated.

Indra_SharanKC
New Contributor III

Thank you @Anonymous User  and the team for this improvement. It is going to make mapping work easy and efficient. 

Kind regards

Indra