Input mask apply flexibility in character numbers?

Jump to solution
09-24-2021 03:50 PM
JulietK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I've been waiting for version 3.13 to be able to apply the input mask to the web form, but just found out input masks also apply character limitations.

I have a field that would get input values of two to three letters followed by one to four digits. The letters need to always be uppercase to allow consistent data capturing.

I was previously using the constraint column to prevent submitters from inputting lowercase fields, but I would really like to apply the input mask so that the submitters don't need to manually switch to uppercase since this the environment of this survey usage requires quick data entry and submission. I would also like to make this survey as user friendly as possible to ensure people are not put off from making submissions when they need to. 

So is there any way to apply the input mask in version 3.13 so allow variations in the number of characters? Even if I could allow a variation in the number of digits with the letters constrained to two characters would still be useful (e.g. somehow applying a combination of >AA and .>1)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @JulietK ,

Thanks for sharing here! You could try >AAa9000, this means you will have 2-3 upper case letters followed by 1-4 digits. If you want the submitters to see a placeholder when the place has not been filled yet, you could try >AAa9000;_

Thanks,

Ruth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @JulietK ,

Thanks for sharing here! You could try >AAa9000, this means you will have 2-3 upper case letters followed by 1-4 digits. If you want the submitters to see a placeholder when the place has not been filled yet, you could try >AAa9000;_

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
JulietK
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Ruth,

This is great, thank you so much! 🙂

I have another field which will have 4 characters, some of which may be letters and some of which may be digits. There is no rule to which character might be letter vs digit. Is there a way to set an inputmask so that all letters will automatically be uppercase, or is this not possible with inputmask?

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @JulietK ,

Sorry Juliet, I missed your post. N is the character for letters and digits, however, I found there is an issue with the case controller > and N, I have logged an internal issue to fix it. You can use >XXXX as a workaround. I will reply to this post once we fix the issue with > and N.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @JulietK ,

The issue with > and N of the input mask has been fixed.

Thanks,

Ruth

ahargreaves_FW
Occasional Contributor III

@Ruth_JiatengXu is it possible to apply conditions to an input mask? eg:

if ${Q1, 'Apple', input mask has 5 spaces and a '-'} elseif ${Q1,'Banana', input mask has 6 spaces and a '-'}?

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @ahargreaves_FW ,

It is not possible to apply conditions to the input mask. However, you can create two text questions Q2 Q3 with different input mask and let them relevant to your Q1. Add another text question Q4 to gather result from Q2 and Q3. Set Q2 and Q3 to "do not submit answer", then the redundant value will not be submitted.

Thanks,

Ruth

0 Kudos