Select to view content in your preferred language

Survey123 - Surveys in Inbox Have Blank fields

Jump to solution
12-19-2022 05:11 PM
JonMarks
New Contributor III

I've searched similar posts but can't find an answer to this issue, I have a survey and when I go to edit or view records in the Inbox, most of the fields are empty. These fields are not in a repeat although there is a repeat near the bottom of the survey and I have "query allowUpdates=true" in the bind::esri:parameters column. for that repeat. 

There are 40 "groups" of questions for asset condition ratings, and they get existing data from CSV files.  Each group is only visible if there is data for that asset. i.e. if there are only 10 assets at a site, then only 10 of the 40 groups of questions is visible. 

Each group of questions has a rating with an appearance of "likert", a comment field and a photo field, all of these appear to be empty when viewing or editing via the inbox. The only fields that have data are the few at the start with date, observer and site name. I am using v3.16.114 of Survey123 Desktop Field App and v3.16.110 of Survey123 Connect which I think are the latest.

I've attached the xlsx form and 5 CSV files from the Media folder.

Any help would be a great Christmas present!! Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Which fields are they?  Are they the ones with the relevant?  Could be the relevant getting confused in the wrong order.  Calcs from drafts or inbox can get funky.  You could try changing to use body::esri:visible - this does work different so read up on it but it may work for you.

I would also check the settings of the form form the website to make sure it all looks ok.

Sorry all I got

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would start by fixing the form errors you have.  start and end are reserved words and the 3rd one here the field name is too long.  Those little green marks are telling you these are not correct.  Looks like you have lots of these down your form that need to be shorter.  31 is the limit

DougBrowning_0-1671547856004.png

I wonder if you could use a repeat vs all these fields.  Hard to tell.

Hope that does it.

0 Kudos
JonMarks
New Contributor III

Thanks Doug - I'll give it a go. Those start and end fields were from an original form that I copied to start with, I recall them being defaults in early forms? Never knew about the field limits even though I've been building forms for years and have built dozens successfully!

JonMarks
New Contributor III

Thanks again for looking into this @DougBrowning. I created a new survey using the old xlsx and edited those fields as recommended and published it. When I first published I had the Sent Items option enabled, when I viewed my test submission in Sent Items, all my entries were visible, however when I changed the survey (disabled Sent Items and enabled Inbox), and sent another test submission, both the original and new submission had blank fields. So unfortunately the issue is still persisting. 

As for building the survey using repeats, I did experiment with them early on, but found that because I was using data from CSV files to populate notes and group names for each asset question group, building the survey this way made more sense.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Which fields are they?  Are they the ones with the relevant?  Could be the relevant getting confused in the wrong order.  Calcs from drafts or inbox can get funky.  You could try changing to use body::esri:visible - this does work different so read up on it but it may work for you.

I would also check the settings of the form form the website to make sure it all looks ok.

Sorry all I got

JonMarks
New Contributor III

The blank fields are the likert and comment fields for each asset (group of questions). The same field types  in the repeat are ok as is the select_multiple question near the end.

JonMarks
New Contributor III

@DougBrowning Sorted! I moved the relevants to the body::esri:visible column instead and that sorted it. Thanks for your help