How to restrict lists based on selections in two fields

Jump to solution
02-12-2021 08:50 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all!!

I am trying to get a list to be restricted based on previous selections. I need the user to be able to select a context zone and then a functional classification and then list the street types that are associated with both. For example if the user selects Neighborhood commercial and Arterial then I need the only items in the list to be Urban connector general urban  and main street but if they select collector then the list will only contain General urban or main street. 

does anyone know how to pull that data? I can do it for a single cell but not two. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I'm assuming you are using Survey123 Connect? If not, you probably should be for a more complex situation like this.

In our County, we use Survey123 to handle some inter-departmental workflows, and we have a "status" field. Like your situation, we want the status to be filtered by the choices in both the "review" and "dept" fields.

On the choices tab, it looks like this:

jcarlson_0-1613152302806.png

So basically you need an entry for every unique allowable combination, but it's definitely possible. Once your choices are all set, change the type of the field in question on the survey tab to something like "select_one your-list-name".

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey Josh, 

So did that limit what the user could choose from that drop down or did you include all the options in there? I am in connect so that is not the problem. I would just like it limit what can be selected based on their answers

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that limited the dropdown options. In the screenshot above, if a user had selected "assr" for the dept field, only those rows which had "assr" in the "dept" column appeared available to them in the form for the status field.

To use the same form from above, there are certain combinations which can only lead to a single status outcome. Supposing review were set to "Not GIS Relevant" and dept were set to "GIS", the status dropdown will only show "Closed" as an option.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much!!

0 Kudos