Select to view content in your preferred language

Force Carriage Return (new line) in a feature report

Jump to solution
10-14-2020 05:55 AM
AndrewBowne
Regular Contributor

I have a section in my report that displays any comments made to a yes/no/na question in my survey.  There are 17 potential comments that could be made.  The problem that I am facing is that if a comment is not made, there is whitespace in between each question that might have been answered.  

Here is an example:

Formatting looks like this:

Ideally, I would like to remove the whitespace between the questions so they are all stacked nicely.  I haven't been able to figure that out and from what I read it is not possible because there is a carriage return at the end of each conditional statement.  

So... What I did was put all the conditional statements on one line with no carriage returns.  What I am wondering is if there is a way to force a carriage return as part of the conditional statement?  I tried adding <br> and that didn't work.  Here is the formatting of my report template:

And the result is:

Thanks for any suggestions

-Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You should place the carriage return inside the if statement:

${if ...}Comment 1¶

${/}${if ...} Comment 2¶

${/}

This way, the new line will display if the comment is shown and will not if it's not shown.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You should place the carriage return inside the if statement:

${if ...}Comment 1¶

${/}${if ...} Comment 2¶

${/}

This way, the new line will display if the comment is shown and will not if it's not shown.

AndrewBowne
Regular Contributor

Perfect!  That's did it.   

This formatting is a bit tricky especially when not familiar with the proper syntax.

-Andrew

0 Kudos
BethanyCrenshaw1
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for this solution.  I have a 20 page report with most questions hidden unless they are answered.  This saves my users time because they don't have to clean up all of the spaces.

0 Kudos
Peters_Amy
Occasional Contributor

@JamesTedrick  I have not been able to get rid of the space that occurs at the bottom of the section called "Debris Types Observed in the Photo".  Could you please help? Thank you!  Amy

0 Kudos
GISIntern21
New Contributor

Hi Do you figure this out this issue I am having the same issue.

0 Kudos