Force Carriage Return (new line) in a feature report

Jump to solution
10-14-2020 05:55 AM
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

I have a section in my report that displays any comments made to a yes/no/na question in my survey.  There are 17 potential comments that could be made.  The problem that I am facing is that if a comment is not made, there is whitespace in between each question that might have been answered.  

Here is an example:

Formatting looks like this:

Ideally, I would like to remove the whitespace between the questions so they are all stacked nicely.  I haven't been able to figure that out and from what I read it is not possible because there is a carriage return at the end of each conditional statement.  

So... What I did was put all the conditional statements on one line with no carriage returns.  What I am wondering is if there is a way to force a carriage return as part of the conditional statement?  I tried adding <br> and that didn't work.  Here is the formatting of my report template:

And the result is:

Thanks for any suggestions

-Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You should place the carriage return inside the if statement:

${if ...}Comment 1¶

${/}${if ...} Comment 2¶

${/}

This way, the new line will display if the comment is shown and will not if it's not shown.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Andrew,

You should place the carriage return inside the if statement:

${if ...}Comment 1¶

${/}${if ...} Comment 2¶

${/}

This way, the new line will display if the comment is shown and will not if it's not shown.

0 Kudos
AndrewBowne
Occasional Contributor III

Perfect!  That's did it.   

This formatting is a bit tricky especially when not familiar with the proper syntax.

-Andrew

0 Kudos