Select to view content in your preferred language

Decimal numbers not working on iOS

07-07-2024 08:24 AM
ibdj
by
New Contributor

Hi. I have tried looking for input here on the forum, not found similar (this is related but not quite the same: Not possible to enter decimal numbers). I am using the Survey123 app on iOS. When I enter decimal numbers, they are not saved as such in the data. In the app I can add a comma followed by the decimals (and why is this not a .?), but it is not uploaded as a decimal number in my data or when I export the data. 
By testings it looks like it work from an Android phone. 

Any input is most appreciated. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

A decimal is a decimal only when it's a decimal. Sounds like you data isn't a decimal. Can you post a screen-cap of the question?

Here are three examples of decimals (Note: I'd only recommend using "test3"):

abureaux_0-1720449734727.png

Each of these will result in a decimal data-type. But again, option #3 is by far the best. It is actually treated like a decimal/number field by S123, and you can use number-specific appearances. E.g.,

abureaux_1-1720449857776.png

ibdj
by
New Contributor

Hi @abureaux You are right. I did not pay attention to how important it is to edit the schema of the survey for data types. My data is esriFieldTypeDouble unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
ibdj
by
New Contributor

Actually I was just testing with a new survey and the schema or the question menu doesn't allow me to change the data type. How would I actually have to do that?

I am making the surveys in a browser

I found this questions to set restrains on the number of decimals points, but using the contains doesn't seem to change the data type: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/decimal-numbers-not-working-on-ios/m-p/1512... 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Schema changes (like changing data type of a question) will cause the Feature Layer to be re-created (thus losing all previous data).

The easiest thing to do would be delete the old question, add a new question that has the proper data type, and then give that new question a different name that the previous (if you are using the web app, I think you can skip this last step though since the web app does this automatically. This is required in Connect though).

0 Kudos
ibdj
by
New Contributor

HI @abureaux Thank you so much for your reply again. It issue however, is that I can't find any options to actually change the data type. Either in already existing questions or new questions in unpublished surveys. 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

Considering you are using the S123 Field App (iOS), I'd recommend that you swap to using Connect to build surveys. It is simply better in far too many ways to not use it. The web app is a struggle.

Regarding the web app, the only way to change a "data type" (e.g., change integer into string) is delete and re-add the question:

abureaux_0-1722633675783.png

Regarding similar data types (e.g., single-line text and multi-line text) in the web app, you can use the "swap" button to swap between them. Just select your question, and then click "swap":

abureaux_1-1722633731100.png

0 Kudos
ibdj
by
New Contributor

Hi @abureaux I have only been collecting data with iOS, building in a browser. 

I am not familiar with Connect. Where would I access that as an editor?

In the https://survey123.arcgis.com/ builder I can't find any way of changing the data type to decimal. 

ibdj_0-1722773888459.png

Thank you again. 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Frequent Contributor

There are two places to get Connect (listed in recommended order):

1. Microsoft Store. This version auto-updates. This is the best option.
  2. Standalone installer. This version does not auto-update.

I don't believe "Decimal" exists in the web app? I'm not 100% on that since I don't use it often, but I don't recall seeing it there.

0 Kudos
ibdj
by
New Contributor

No, that's what I tried to show with the screen shot; the decimal setting for data type does not exists in the web app. 
Thank you for the info on Connect. Also just noticed that it is an option when you create a new survey. 
Thank you again!

0 Kudos