Select to view content in your preferred language

Decimal numbers not working on iOS

3 weeks ago
ibdj
by
New Contributor

Hi. I have tried looking for input here on the forum, not found similar (this is related but not quite the same: Not possible to enter decimal numbers). I am using the Survey123 app on iOS. When I enter decimal numbers, they are not saved as such in the data. In the app I can add a comma followed by the decimals (and why is this not a .?), but it is not uploaded as a decimal number in my data or when I export the data. 
By testings it looks like it work from an Android phone. 

Any input is most appreciated. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

A decimal is a decimal only when it's a decimal. Sounds like you data isn't a decimal. Can you post a screen-cap of the question?

Here are three examples of decimals (Note: I'd only recommend using "test3"):

abureaux_0-1720449734727.png

Each of these will result in a decimal data-type. But again, option #3 is by far the best. It is actually treated like a decimal/number field by S123, and you can use number-specific appearances. E.g.,

abureaux_1-1720449857776.png

ibdj
by
New Contributor

Hi @abureaux You are right. I did not pay attention to how important it is to edit the schema of the survey for data types. My data is esriFieldTypeDouble unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
ibdj
by
New Contributor

Actually I was just testing with a new survey and the schema or the question menu doesn't allow me to change the data type. How would I actually have to do that?

I am making the surveys in a browser

I found this questions to set restrains on the number of decimals points, but using the contains doesn't seem to change the data type: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/decimal-numbers-not-working-on-ios/m-p/1512... 

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Schema changes (like changing data type of a question) will cause the Feature Layer to be re-created (thus losing all previous data).

The easiest thing to do would be delete the old question, add a new question that has the proper data type, and then give that new question a different name that the previous (if you are using the web app, I think you can skip this last step though since the web app does this automatically. This is required in Connect though).

0 Kudos