Coding help on a slider bar / likert scale

11-08-2017 11:39 AM
EmilyBartee2
New Contributor III

Awlright.  This is going to be a longer post.  I'm putting together a survey for the National Weather Service to replace their Damage Assessment Tool (DAT) which still feeds to a flex viewer.   For the most part the survey is complete - it has every question the DAT had as well as new questions for additional hazard types i.e. flooding.  The ONE thing I cannot transfer over from the DAT is the custom selection slider bar that lets them pick the estimated wind speed based on input for two other variables - a damage indicator and subsequent description of damages .  Based on the combination of these two variables an estimated wind speed range is calculated that could have caused the damages. In the DAT, this specific range spread populated the beginning and end points of a slider bar which the person completing the survey could then click and slide to a specific wind speed they thought was responsible for damages.  I don't know how to replicate this within XLS forms and Survey123.

As the survey is, I've done a cascading select to allow them to select one of their 28 damage indicators.  They are then allowed to select a corresponding description of damages. The following three values are reflective of a CSV pull.  The lower bound of wind speeds that could have caused the damages, the expected value, and the upper bound.  The user is then prompted to select the EF scale of the tornado and then they are prompted to manually enter the wind speed they think caused the damages.  

Every component of the DAT is within the Survey123 survey.  However, instead of the slider bar they manually enter the wind speed.  They want the slider bar and within Survey123 that is not available (yet?).  Would it be possible to somehow code a likert scale question so they can select a value within a custom wind speed range (that changes based on 28 damage indicators and roughly 10 description of damages per indicator...)??? 

They really want their slider bar but I don't know how to give it to them.  Any input or other suggestions?  I'd really appreciate the help!! This slider bar is going to be the bane of my mapping existence.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Emily,

Currently we don't have a slider bar style selection widget (aside from the distress appearance for integer questions, which allows for values only between 0-10).  This is because there hasn't been a way to specify a range in the XLSForm specification. This has recently been introduced into the specific and we'll be implementing it in the future.

It may be possible to simulate using the Likert appearance as you describe, though I would need more info on what choices are valid when to be able to say with certainty.

EmilyBartee2
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Thank you for your response!  What information can I provide to you?  If it would be easier I can post the zipped survey file to let you see the information being pulled and the choice selection criteria.  I'm in the process of contacting the person who configured and coded their DAT to see what coding they used on the slider bar but I'm not sure if it was XLS forms or something else.  Thank you for your constant help, I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Emily,

The form would be helpful, but essentially what is needed is the criteria used to generate the range for Likert and what the resulting values should be.

0 Kudos
EmilyBartee2
New Contributor III

James,

Attached is a zipped file for the NWS Survey.  I'm not completely sure by what you mean for criteria but in essence they want the wind speed range to be reflective of the upper bound and lower bound value for the damage indicator and description of damage combination.  The wind speed values that correspond to that combo are within the media folder in a CSV.   Thank you again for your help!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Emily,

Thanks, the CSV file had the information I needed.  Survey123 could implement this as a Likert, but it would be a fairly large contortion of the table you currently have; additionally, you would probably want to limit it to increments of 5 or 10 to make the number of options manageable.  You would essentially transform the table into a long list of windspeed/damagetype combinations that are then choice_filtered based on the damage type.

ParksCamp
New Contributor III

Is the range field type any closer to being implemented?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi,

There is an initial implementation of the range question type available to try out.  Expect to see a documentation post in the Early Adopter Community soon on this.

0 Kudos
ParksCamp
New Contributor III

Excellent to hear.

Pearls

0 Kudos
acquintana
New Contributor

Hi,

Is the range question type no longer available to try out in the Beta version? I couldn't even find the documentation you mention.

0 Kudos