Can't find errant tag in report template - need help!

07-05-2022 12:31 PM
archeomason
New Contributor III

Hello, everyone -

I've been trying to put together a standardized report for some wetland data we've collected using the mobile app. I've built the template in word and have been repairing the different syntax error messages that pop up as I go. I have an error message coming up now and for the life of me, I can't find it! So I'm kinda dead in the water here.

"Error: An error occurred when checking the report template. The tag beginning with "}$repeatEn" is unopened."

I've tried searching for different lengths of the string that's showing up in the error message and Word keeps saying that that phrase is not in the document. 

I'm wondering if that's somehow a coded conversion of the ${/} tag of a repeat end, but I don't know for sure. I've attached the Word document that keeps getting kicked back. 

Is there a way to find these errant tags beyond the simple Ctrl+F?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
MattEdrich
Occasional Contributor

Hah - removing one section at a time from the template and re-running through the syntax checker to see when it stops throwing a fit! Far and away not the most efficient method.

RyanHaseman
New Contributor

I've got the "Error: An error occurred when checking the report template. The tag beginning with "}$repeatEn" is unopened." issue as well.

I cannot find this string anywhere.  Did you find a solution?  I feel like the "}$repeatEn" is being generated behind the scenes.

0 Kudos
fklotz
by
Occasional Contributor

The syntax checker is not helpful at all in this situation.  Survey123 reports seem to be finicky to troubleshoot and they seem to not like tags in certain locations.  An error checker built into Survey123 Connect with more detailed error reporting such as the actual repeat name that has the issue would be much better than showing this as an error: 

Error: An error occurred when checking the report template. The tag beginning with "}$repeatEn" is unopened.

where the text shown ("}$repeatEn") does not exist anywhere in my word document.

The message made me think I had an error in the repeat and the ESRI Tech support also thought that was the case.  However, after messing about with the repeat sections for far too long, I found a that I had an extraneous } much higher up in the template (way before any repeats).  Cleaning this up made my form pass the syntax checker.
Farley
RyanHaseman
New Contributor

I found my error as well and it was exactly as you described with an extra } somewhere way above my repeat section. 

A line number of where the error is would be a great edition to the syntax checker. I would rather manually count lines in a word doc than have to search the entire document character by character.

archeomason
New Contributor III

Oh my goodness! 

I wonder if that's what the problem is on my version! I need to check that. Unfortunately, I raised the white flag and started over, but I'll check if I still have a copy of the errant one. Holy cow! 

I feel like that could make sense. The errant } could cause all the others behind it to cascade out of expected place (in some way... not sure how exactly) and maybe the error message is pinging on the first of these out-of-place spots. 

Great find! Thank you!

0 Kudos
archeomason
New Contributor III

Oh... Duh... I'll check the form on this message!

0 Kudos
Daniel_Perkins
New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing. This was helpful for me. I also found that if you leave off a $ at the beginning of referencing a field, you will get the same error. e.g. if you do {field} instead of ${field}

0 Kudos