Can't find errant tag in report template - need help!

07-05-2022 12:31 PM
archeomason
New Contributor III

Hello, everyone -

I've been trying to put together a standardized report for some wetland data we've collected using the mobile app. I've built the template in word and have been repairing the different syntax error messages that pop up as I go. I have an error message coming up now and for the life of me, I can't find it! So I'm kinda dead in the water here.

"Error: An error occurred when checking the report template. The tag beginning with "}$repeatEn" is unopened."

I've tried searching for different lengths of the string that's showing up in the error message and Word keeps saying that that phrase is not in the document. 

I'm wondering if that's somehow a coded conversion of the ${/} tag of a repeat end, but I don't know for sure. I've attached the Word document that keeps getting kicked back. 

Is there a way to find these errant tags beyond the simple Ctrl+F?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

I think the issue is somewhere in your vegetation and/or soil section, but can you provide the XLS form so we can see how you structured the schema?

Also, funny enough, I've basically done an identical workflow, creating a report template for the Wetland Determination Data Forms in Survey123. Maybe send me a DM if you would like to chat more...

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
archeomason
New Contributor III

Hello!

Thank you for getting back to me.

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the vegetation section somewhere. The back page of the form was working fine and the error didn't start popping up until I was working on those sections. 

I'd be honestly delighted to DM you about this as I've struggled with formatting this thing so I'm curious to hear what (if anything) worked for you... I'm uploading the XLS form here.

0 Kudos
MattEdrich
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue and I absolutely cannot find the errant tag. Was there ever a solution to this obstacle? 

0 Kudos
archeomason
New Contributor III

Sorry... I just saw this. 

No. I wasn't able to find it when I searched. I need to get back into this issue.

0 Kudos
MattEdrich
Occasional Contributor

I found it! Thank you for the response. How I wish Esri would give us a better tool to locate syntactical errors like this, instead of the terrible TERRIBLE cycle of Word > Survey123 Report Templates over and over!!

0 Kudos
archeomason
New Contributor III

Yes! It is so difficult! (Even when you can find the errant tag in there). 

With that said, I can only imagine how hard it is to even put this system together. I try to remind myself of that at least.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

@MattEdrich If you want to post your XLS form and template here or in DM, I'd be happy to take a look and try to help. 🙂  

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
MattEdrich
Occasional Contributor

Hey @Katie_Clark, thanks for replying! I found the issue a couple weeks back (I think). I wish there was a better way to troubleshoot syntactical issues like this one, but I have devised an effective, if clunky, method...

Hehe.

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

@MattEdrich Anything worth sharing? 🙂

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos