Blank rows in 'hidden' repeat

02-07-2020 07:37 AM
ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

I have a survey with a repeat in it that I've published from Connect but is being used as a web form.  The repeat is optional and is triggered by people selecting a particular value on the main record.  It is entirely hidden until that value is selected and this is done using a relevant statement in the 'begin repeat'.

This all looks great and works well in the web form, except for one thing.  For records where the required value to unhide the repeat isn't entered a blank record in the repeat is still created.

I've seen some posts suggesting this is expected behaviour in slightly similar circumstances but I wondered if it was also the case here - or whether there was a way to stop the blank records from being created?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Colin,

I am not seeing the behavior you are describing with a simple form with repeat that is relevant based on a question. What types of questions are present in the repeat section?

ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

The repeat becomes relevant if the user selects one of two values in a single select (I've attached the .xlsx for the survey and you can see the live form here).  The question 'Did you observe willow tit or marsh tit during your visit?' is the one that triggers the repeat (when you select 'Yes').

Just in case it helps, I've also attached a picture to show how the blank rows are appearing in the repeat.

Many thanks for your help looking into this.

Colin

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Colin,

I'm able to reproduce the behavior you describe with your survey.  It appears that we have an existing BUG for this behavior, BUG-000123943.  I did a little more testing and it appears related to the presence of the geopoint question in the repeat.

ColinCampbell
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

That's really helpful to know.  Thanks again for looking into it.

0 Kudos
BrunoGomes_de_Souza
Esri Contributor

Hey James, I have the same problem.

But some repeats have no spatial information and occurs the same as described.

0 Kudos
HNoakes
Esri Contributor

I am also seeing this with no geopoint in the repeat section. I only have two text fields.

Is there any update on the Bug?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also checking on update since have been 20 months now.  We now have thousands of them.  Getting harder to work around.

Thanks

0 Kudos
newwollyka
New Contributor III

Same here. I have a household listing inside a unit listing. Empty households records are being created even if the unit is inhabitant and it is causing inconsistencies and headaches!

SébastienLétourneau
New Contributor II

Any updates for this bug? Reported since 2018 and very annoying.