Select to view content in your preferred language

Automatically updating a csv based on a Survey123 Form

Jump to solution
04-05-2024 08:23 AM
AlexanderDyer
New Contributor II

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if it's possible to link a csv file on a shared drive to a hosted feature layer on AGOL that is updated by a Survey123 form, so each time the feature layer is updated the data is automatically reflected on the csv. 

From what I've gathered, this is possible through webhooks (?), but I don't know where to start with building one. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I think a webhook would likely be your best bet then, if you have access to Power Automate through Microsoft 365 at your organization I'd recommend it, or there's also Make (formerly Integromat) that I believe is free?

Make with Survey123 Blog Post

Power Automate with Survey123 Blog Post

Those should be good to get started, but there's a whole lot of posts and blogs across the Community on these topics (more so Power Automate I find).

View solution in original post

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you looked at ArcGIS for Excel?  You can just point Excel to AGOL and it would all be live time.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can link to a CSV that is hosted in AGOL that the form will update from when opening.  You can then use Python or manual update of that CSV in AGOL.  

Take a look at these posts

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/work-with-csv-data-in-arcgis-survey123/ba-p/1157...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-external-choice/ba...

You could also look into the search() appearance type but that assumes you are online when loading the form.   https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/dynamic-choice-lists-using-search-appearance/ba-... 

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
AlexanderDyer
New Contributor II

Thank you for the info Doug, but I think I may have worded my question badly... I'm not trying to link a Survey123 form to a csv, but rather link the data that is created from a Survey123 form to a csv file saved externally. 

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you looked at ArcGIS for Excel?  You can just point Excel to AGOL and it would all be live time.

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Also a good idea, and probably easier than the webhooks to set up (I've not used it before though).

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Are you looking to use the CSV with the Survey123 form, or just have it update from information that is submitted to the survey?

0 Kudos
AlexanderDyer
New Contributor II

Just have it update from the information that is submitted. 

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I think a webhook would likely be your best bet then, if you have access to Power Automate through Microsoft 365 at your organization I'd recommend it, or there's also Make (formerly Integromat) that I believe is free?

Make with Survey123 Blog Post

Power Automate with Survey123 Blog Post

Those should be good to get started, but there's a whole lot of posts and blogs across the Community on these topics (more so Power Automate I find).

AlexanderDyer
New Contributor II

Thanks for the input y'all! I can't add ArcGIS for Excel due to add-in permissions at my organization, but I was able to make something work well enough by using Power Automate to add rows to an excel file on sharepoint each time the Survey123 Form is submitted.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

My IT said that same at first but then they agreed to have it as a Managed Add-In with the org.  May be worth a shot. 

0 Kudos