Select to view content in your preferred language

if statement always returning false parameter

04-05-2024 12:00 PM
SteveBrewer
Occasional Contributor

I have a running if function that keeps returning the false parameter. This is from a select multiple field type, and I am not sure how to proceed. I have tried checking the options. Part of me wonders if its because I need to incorporate a select function and have tried but it always breaks everything. Anyone else have this problem and fixed it?

Here is list of choices and if.

Lower intertidal zone
Mid intertidal zone
Upper intertidal zone
Supra tidal zone
if(${tdzn}='Lower intertidal zone', 'LI', if(${tdzn}='Mid intertidal zone', 'MI', if(${tdzn}='Upper intertidal zone', 'UI', if(${tdzn}='Supra tidal zone', 'SU', 'null'))))
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Raul
by
Regular Contributor

The if statement formatting looks good, are you sure you're making your comparisons against the *coded* value of 'tdzn'?

JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

It's not working because the question type is a Select Multiple. Which means the data in that field will have multiple comma separated values, so unless someone only selected 1 specific choice, ${field}= will never be true. 

What you want is to check if a specific option has been selected in a field using selected(${question_one}, 'a').

Also, you need to be using the name field for your options, not the value. Spaces are not allowed in a Select Multiple name so it appears you are using the value. 

Your if statement should look something like this:

if(selected(${tdzn},'Lower_intertidal_zone'), 'LI', if(selected(${tdzn}, 'Mid_intertidal_zone'), 'MI', if(selected(${tdzn}, 'Upper_intertidal_zone'), 'UI', if(selected(${tdzn}, 'Supra_tidal_zone'), 'SU', 'null'))))
- Jen