Auto populate in Survey123 from existing feature attributes

05-01-2018 11:47 AM
ShelbyPW1
New Contributor II

I am trying to use ArcGIS Online and Survey123 to create an inspection form that works against an existing feature. For example; I have a bunch of construction site points that I need to conduct various inspection on. I am having trouble getting some of the fields to auto populate in survey123 from the existing feature (Project Name, Project Type, Permittee, etc). If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very appreciative. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet. Thanks.

21 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I assume you mean pulling from Collector?  If so your URL should look like this where the {} are from Collector and the others are the name of the field in Survey123 so Survey123field = {CollectorField}

arcgis-survey123://?itemID={FormIDHere}&field:Office={Office}&field:PlotID={PlotID}&field:PlotKey={PlotKey}&field:GapData={GapData}

See page 7 of this post for more

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche...

0 Kudos
TiffanyRufo
Occasional Contributor II

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche... 

This blog post is my cheat sheet to passing values from a point/polygon in collector (Arc Online) to Survey123 fields

0 Kudos
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

Also see this post if any of the fields you're trying to pass have a domain (Collector will pass the description in the URL and not the coded value), which makes things a bit difficult.

https://community.esri.com/thread/213202-question-about-spaces-in-survey123-connect-name-fields-of-c... 

0 Kudos
TimothyMichael
Occasional Contributor II

To make this easier (and to not have to refer to the documentation every time...) I made an Excel sheet to help me build the link to pre-populate items in Survey123.  I attached a copy here, feel free to modify and use.

ShelbyPW1
New Contributor II

Thanks everybody,

I've gone through and updated my spreadsheet but now I am getting a "The custom feature service submission url is not compatible with this survey (Request Error)." I'm not really sure to go from here. Thanks again for all of your input. I've again attached a copy of my spreadsheet.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brett,

The submission URL setting is used when you are submitting to an existing feature service; you appear to have a URL to open Survey123 there.

0 Kudos
ShelbyPW1
New Contributor II

James,

Thanks for your help. I guess I'm a little confused. I chose the existing feature option in Survey123 Connect and chose the existing feature service I was hoping to auto populate from (construction site). Do I need to create another feature service for inspections and use the submission url for the actual construction site feature service? Thanks again for your help.

Brett

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brett,

If you chose the Existing Feature Service option, the submission_url should have looked something like https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/0123456789abcdef0123456789abcdef when the form was first created; the first part will be different if you're using ArcGIS Enterprise; the very last part will be a different 32-character set that corresponds to the item ID of the feature service's content entry.  That is the link to feature layer for submission and can't be altered.  This is the first step for loading data from an existing feature service into a form for editing/revising.  The second step is to enable the Inbox (see Prepare for editing existing survey data—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS ); the Inbox functionality allows for the editing of the data in the feature service (as opposed to simply adding more information to the feature service, which is the default behavior).  Note that editing existing data does not work in the same scenario as opening Survey123 via Collector (using the application-specific arcgis-survey123:// URL)

0 Kudos
GeorgeHilton__GISP
New Contributor III

This works very well, however is there a way to use the value being passed from collector to set the value of a note in Survey123 that is simply text designed for display only in the survey?

0 Kudos