123 photo app does not see the tablet rotate if screen lock is on and no rotate button in the app?

Jump to solution
06-06-2022 09:18 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Seeing an issue when the iPad has screen rotate lock set in settings 123 does not see the iPad get flipped and then the photos are rotated wrong.  I thought there was a rotate photo button in the app but I cannot find it.  I found some posts on a setting but cannot find it.

Workflow

iPad is set to rotate lock

Start to take a photo with the 123 built in camera app

Rotate the iPad and take a photo.

Photo then has the wrong orientation and there is no way to rotate it.  

Is this a known issue?  Is there a way to get a rotate button in there?  It would be a nice feature.

thanks

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

The screen lock issue with landscape photos is logged as BUG-000148047. The current best approach is to not use the screen lock feature on iOS in portrait mode if you are planning to use the app in landscape mode to take photos.

You can rotate photos after they are taken using the 3-dot menu under the photo, and there are both left and right rotate options in the pop-up menu:

PhilipWilson_0-1654571037998.png

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

No, once the image is added to the canvas there is no way to rotate the image separate to the canvas. 

We have plans for the future to support this, where multiple images can be added to a canvas, moved and rotated separately, but this is still on the roadmap.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

The screen lock issue with landscape photos is logged as BUG-000148047. The current best approach is to not use the screen lock feature on iOS in portrait mode if you are planning to use the app in landscape mode to take photos.

You can rotate photos after they are taken using the 3-dot menu under the photo, and there are both left and right rotate options in the pop-up menu:

PhilipWilson_0-1654571037998.png

Regards,

Phil.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Phil I thought there was a rotate but could not find it.  I tracked it down to the annotate appearance - there are no rotate buttons.  Is there a way to rotate using annotate?

thanks

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning,

No, once the image is added to the canvas there is no way to rotate the image separate to the canvas. 

We have plans for the future to support this, where multiple images can be added to a canvas, moved and rotated separately, but this is still on the roadmap.

Regards,

Phil.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @DougBrowning ,

We have just released the 3.15 July Update today of Survey123 Connect and Field app which includes fixes for image orientation values being stored in EXIF data incorrectly, and also a fix for the the orientation lock on iOS being enabled and causing the orientation of landscape images to be incorrect. Please test out the latest builds and let us know if you still have issues with orientation information from images.

See the announcement here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/what-s-new-in-arcgis-survey123-july-2022/ba-p/11...

Regards,

Phil.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous User After testing it all looks great!  Thanks for fixing it so fast as usual.

From testers

I tested the newest Survey123 3.15.151 and took a bunch of photos from the Training Photos and Reach Form. I took photos rotating without the lock, rotating with the lock on in Portrait and Landscape. The app always rotated the photo viewer correctly and the photos all rotated correctly (Real world horizontal) afterward no matter in what position I had the iPad in. I also sent the submitted the Photo form and looked at the photos  in the Data Review Dashboard. Everything looked good! So, I think whatever was going on, is now fixed with the latest S123 version. But, I’ll continue testing too.  I also took photos with the Photos App and attached. All photos came across into Survey123 in the proper real world horizontal orientation no matter what position I took the photo in.

0 Kudos