(Implemented) Set default photo name in Survey123 Connect/web designer

05-10-2018 04:53 PM
JamesWilson2
New Contributor III

use Default or Calculate field in Survey123 Connect to set a default filename for images captured in the survey123 field app. Rather than the what is set by survey123 (a garbled mess that you can't easily sort back in the office after exporting from the geodatabase) you could use a calculation such as concat(${question1},format-date(${WSDateTime},'%Y%m%d%H%M',".jpg")

26 Comments
IsmaelChivite

This functionality is now available for testing through the Survey123 Early Adopter site. Looking forward to your feedback. Below is a partial screenshot of the doc. To test this, you need to have version 3.15 Beta (available through Early Adopter site).

IsmaelChivite_0-1654106201686.png

@JamesWilson2 @Galen_S_MnDOT @MarcGraham2 @DrewThompson @BrianBaldwin @AnneDunckel 

IsmaelChivite
AnneDunckel

@IsmaelChivite I just want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been tracking this for so long and was so pleased to be able to implement it in our work this past year. It has made our workflow and photo management millions of times faster and easier. I don't really know how to thank you enough for listening to your users and making changes based on their input. The new capabilities work awesome and make S123 even more essential to our workflows.

If I could bake y'all cookies and spread my gratitude around I would! KUDOS KUDOS KUDOS!

JamieUrquhart

I too am delighted that this functionality has come online.

However I find that I'm still having troubles with it.

Using Survey 123 Connect version 3.17.55.0 to design the survey I've been trying to implement specific file names for images related to a Survey Point ID Reference(Label) or survey_ID (name). 

In fact I'm taking three images at each specific survey point, an Upstream, Downstream and Centre and they are all related to the same survey_ID. However when I have tried the various versions as illustrated in the following links i cannot get them all to work. Often only one will work and the others are default names.

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/what-s-new-in-arcgis-survey123-june-2022/ba-p/11...

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-set-the-file-name-...

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformmedia.htm#ESRI_SECTION2_D007264B8F...

Yet I seem to get nowhere when running the published survey on the field app and end up with just a default name for each image.

What I'm trying to achieve is something like "Dee_05_a_image_downstream_20230517-233210.jpg"

Here is the XLSF form survey data I'm using.

Any pointers would be most welcome.

Best regards Jamie

ImageFileName@JamieUrquhart.jpg

Alison_Gou_

hi @JamieUrquhart ,

Well, please try the following sentence in your xlsx file:

fileName=concat(${survey_ID},format-date(now(), "%Y%m%d%H%M%S"))

You can also add underscore to make it like:

fileName=concat(${survey_ID},"_",format-date(now(), "%Y%m%d%H%M%S"))

Please try and it should solve your issue.

Alison

JamieUrquhart

Dear Alison

Thanks so much for your help here this now seems to have resolved the issue and go the filename working for this survey.

Best regards Jamie