Appearance option to view Repeats stacked in Survey123 app

06-01-2017 09:06 AM
CamilleBeasley
New Contributor III

Repeat groups offer a good way to collect soil profile data, as profiles often have differing numbers of horizons and each horizon requires roughly the same details to be recorded about it. However, the Survey123 app only shows one repeat record (e.g., one horizon) at a time, requiring users to toggle left and right between them. When evaluating a soil profile to determine if it is hydric, it's important to be able to view all the horizons at once, so the app is not conducive to this. The Web Form displays each record stacked on one another, which would make the evaluation easier, but people collecting soil data in the field often do not have internet/4G access. Therefore, it would be nice if an Appearance option could be added for Repeats in the Survey123 app to appear with each record stacked on one another so the user can view multiple records at once and simply scroll up and down between them. I realize some people may like toggling between single records to reduce screen clutter, so the default Appearance could remain that way, but adding a "stacked" option for Appearance would allow for more layout flexibility, which is one of the main things Survey123 currently lacks in my opinion. I think the grid-theme that's in development would mesh well with this option to reduce screen clutter.

35 Comments
aytlDEC

This really ought to be a feature - we have something for pages, we might as well have it for repeats as well.

RobertAnderson3

Adding this option for repeats would be fantastic for our use too allowing the user to view the inputs they've added. Using some of the aggregate tools for review notes kinda works, but not very well.

EvanJohnson

Did I miss it or is this still not even ‘Under Consideration’ by survey 123 team? I imagine that this is not implemented yet because of some limitations in xlsform, but I just have to feel that this is doable now with a JavaScript function-html table or something along those lines. It doesn’t immediately appear that the ‘contenteditable’ of html is available in QT package, but maybe some trickery of creating ‘null’ fields inside an html table that are editable and are linked to the related records through JavaScript is a possibility?

PegGronemeyer1
Hi
As far as I can tell, it is still "under consideration"... although I'm not sure any work is done on it. There was just another person asking a few days ago. I know - it's obviously frustrating to a whole bunch of us!
Best
Peg
Jennifere

Still hoping this will be actioned! However, see screenshots for example of a work around for viewing previous entries in a repeat (noting this doesn't make it any easier to edit or flick between entries).

View Previous Repeat Entries Example.JPG

View Previous Repeat Entries Preview.JPG

KristenMeier

Has there been any developments on this? It really would make a huge difference!

abureaux

@Strahanjen I was hoping to find a resposne from Esri in here saying something like "Yep, we're on this", and stumbled across your comment. 

I use this as method to summarize data (it's almost manditory), and it works well for most use-cases. For the limitation that you described, have you tried using calculationMode=Always (place this in the bind::esri:parameters field that you want to have always update)? This should force your form to update live with any changes.

DuncanKinnear

@abureaux thanks that sounds promising, I didn't know about 'calculationMode=Always'. I shall test this out - at the moment I am just using HTML summary tables with no live links, similar to @Jennifere .

@Strahanjen - would love to know how you've formatted your summary table there with the inclusion of the cover input dropdown. I can't work out how to remove labels for those questions to achieve something similar. Cheers! 

In the meantime, hope a proper fix is under consideration soon.

LJackson29

@Jennifere Thanks for providing this example - it was really useful. Do you know if there is a way to sort the list in ascending order within the join statement?

Thanks!

Leila

IsmaelChivite
Status changed to: Under Consideration