What is the concept of the new Story Maps?

12-04-2019 10:57 AM
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

I don't really understand what the new story maps is trying to accomplish.  It seems to be lacking in a lot of features and functionality.  What happened to all of the templates from the old story maps?  What happened to the ability to customize the story maps to our own version?  I know the new story maps system is new, but somehow I feel like it was rushed to be released since it is so very basic.

I hope the old story map system stays active for awhile as I still use it.  Is this new story maps the way of the future?  Are we no longer going to have functionality or abilities to customize?  Will we be forever imprisoned into just one style of story map with someone else telling us what themes and colors to use?

7 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi David -- I hope these answer your questions:

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

I agree with David. Seems very basic.

It does look slicker and its good that you can insert 3d scenes (although pop-ups still lack any customization).

0 Kudos
JunKmail
New Contributor

I am thinking of geotagging my video with a free app called 'video geotagger' to point location to this address:

Google Maps 

Any idea how to get this geotagged info stick to my source file?

0 Kudos
LeifJohnson3
Occasional Contributor II

I was definitely frustrated with it at first too.  After having worked with the older version of story maps for a few years it was a big change, but I will say that after using it now for a couple of months I've come to like it much better.  It certainly is still lacking a bit from the original, but it's coming along really quickly and should soon surpass the older version.  Many of the issues I originally had with it have been fixed in one way or another, if not necessarily by the same name.  I think it looks a lot cleaner and more professional compared to maps I made with the older version too.  From what I can see, I think one of the biggest issues is that most people are viewing things on their phones now and the older versions of story maps weren't completely compatible with phones (I had to make multiple versions of the same story map, one for desktop and one for mobile).  It seems to me that the new version is limited in many ways because they're trying to make everything easily viewed on a smartphone as well as a computer or tablet.  So it may be a tad more limited, at the moment, but it's allowing you to reach people on a wider array of devices now which gives your story more legs.  

Just one man's opinion, but I think in another year, if not less, most people will prefer the new version.

BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

One things that's really keeping me from using it is the lack of any undos. Hopefully, this will be incorporated in the next version

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Brian -- We acknowledge that this is frustrating right now and are working on a plan to implement undo. It won't make it for the next version (Jan 2020), but we are planning it for one of upcoming releases after that. 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
BrianE1
Occasional Contributor

Great news. I have been working with the current version for the last week or so and have additional feedback and noticed some bugs. Post them here or should I send to you directly?

0 Kudos