Unresponsive/slow loading to edit my Story Map

Jump to solution
02-27-2022 07:44 AM
sdctchair
New Contributor II

Good afternoon, 

For a few days now my story map has been unresponsive. As I try to open the web page to edit it will not load, as such I have not been able to continue editing my story. I have had this issue on several different computers and locations, so I do not believe that it is an issue with my device or internet. 

I use several express maps in a side car format with a large number of points on each map (might this be presenting an issue?). 

Looking forward to hearing back. 

Thanks, 

Joanna

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@sdctchair @MegGaillard @FriendsMissRiv @annamo @Afie_lgeo @Curt_H @jduval @StevenArnold @MattiasEkström 

We just deployed the fix for the builder issue described in this thread. Please check your stories and let us know if you are still experiencing this problem.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to report this issue and share your stories here and to Esri Support. Having access to a lot of information about the stories that were experiencing this problem was key to us finding the cause and developing a fix.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

52 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello! I'm sorry you are having an issue editing your story. This appears to be an isolated issue with this particular story or a piece of content within it, so I would recommend please contacting Esri Technical Support. They are best equipped to help you troubleshoot this issue.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
sdctchair
New Contributor II

Hi Owen, 

Thanks for getting back to me. I will contact the technical support. Is there anything you can think of that may have caused this? 

Thanks!

Joanna

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

It's difficult to say. Adding a map with a large number of points, although never recommended for storytelling, wouldn't normally cause the builder to become unresponsive. You could try removing the layer from the web map using the ArcGIS map viewer and then try to open your story in builder to see if that makes a difference.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Curt_H
by
New Contributor III

I am having the same issue and its been going on since last week. I can edit the story, but barely. Its painfully slow to respond. Chrome keeps saying the web page is not responding and prompts me to kill it. I am not using any express maps and it occurs in two separate StoryMaps I am working on. Both stories were easy to edit prior to this beginning last week. @sdctchair If you get any insight from technical support could you please post?

Thanks Curt

Afie_lgeo
New Contributor II

I am also having this problem. The story map was fine about 7 days ago but has since become extremely slow and almost impossible to edit. Same as another commenter, Chrome says the page is unresponsive and prompts me to kill, sometimes even when I'm just trying to update text. This problem is occurring regardless of the content of the story map and doesn't seem to be related to how much content it holds. I'd also like to know if there was any response from tech support on this.

Thanks.

Curt_H
by
New Contributor III

Isnt the timing of this coinciding with a recent update to the StoryMap builder?

Afie_lgeo
New Contributor II

Yes, I noticed this as well.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Curt_H @Afie_lgeo -- It is possible there was something in the last ArcGIS StoryMaps update that caused this, but we have not observed this issue ourselves in any of our QA or testing work and do not yet have enough information to reproduce the issue at this time

Please contact Esri Technical Support so they can help troubleshoot and identify the issue. Out support staff are well trained to help isolate issues and have the advantage of being able to cross-reference reports and investigations from anyone who has reported a similar issue. All that is key for us to get to the bottom of any issues that have come up. Once an issue is sufficiently identified we can then start looking at how to address it.

Owen Evans
jduval
by
New Contributor II

I am also experiencing this while editing a story map.  It was fine a few weeks ago.  This is a problem.

GISP