Unresponsive/slow loading to edit my Story Map

Jump to solution
02-27-2022 07:44 AM
sdctchair
New Contributor II

Good afternoon, 

For a few days now my story map has been unresponsive. As I try to open the web page to edit it will not load, as such I have not been able to continue editing my story. I have had this issue on several different computers and locations, so I do not believe that it is an issue with my device or internet. 

I use several express maps in a side car format with a large number of points on each map (might this be presenting an issue?). 

Looking forward to hearing back. 

Thanks, 

Joanna

52 Replies
sdctchair
New Contributor II

Hi everyone, the tech team is looking into our issue. No solution yet, will post as soon as I hear back from them. Best regards.

StevenArnold
New Contributor II

Same issue here and its unbearable to work with.  Also, the weird, random line breaks when copying from a word doc is incredibly frustrating.  It was never like this until the last update.

I really, really want to love these products, but you guys make it hard with these issues that are far too frequent.

0 Kudos
MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III

I also have this problem. Even before this, my stories became slower and slower to edit as they grew, but lately it has been much worse.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you to everyone who has reported a problem editing stories. We appreciate you taking the time to post here and raise awareness about this issue. 

We have done more investigation and we believe we are able to reproduce the issue being described here. We're looking into the root cause and how to address it and will keep updating this thread as more information becomes available.

We believe this issue is affecting a small subset of stores, but because of the significant negative impact on the experience of editing stories this issue is a high priority for us to address.

It would be extremely helpful for anyone experiencing an issue like this to please open an incident with Esri Support and provide all the information the support analyst asks for. As mentioned earlier in this thread, having our support staff collect as much relevant information as possible about problems like these is critical to identifying the issue or issues and helping to find a resolution.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We are still investigating the cause of this issue. It would be extremely useful if everyone could share a link to your story here on this thread, if it is public.

If the story is not shared with everyone, please be sure to open a support case with Esri Technical Support so you can provide them with all the relevant information about the story that is experience this issue.

It's critical for us to have stories that developed this issue "in the wild," so to speak, so we can effectively troubleshoot and find the reason this is occurring. So far, we only have access to two stories via Esri Support cases.

Thanks for your help.

Owen Evans
MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III

I hope you guys find a solution soon @OwenGeo  and I'm glad to hear it's high priority.

Here's links to a few of my stories that have this issue and are public.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/c70b5b510fb04261906912e4b31b024a

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/ac0cd9dddf1242bbbd65c0518a5e071d

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/90c7647fcf8f433cb5c325fb1001289c

StevenArnold
New Contributor II

Thanks for your help, Owen.

In our case, it is not the story map not functioning in "public" mode, that works fine.  The problem is in "edit" mode like others have said.  Adding content blocks, inserting a line break, etc, takes up to 30 seconds or longer and getting a "page unresponsive" in chrome.  Also random "line breaks" when copying and pasting from a word (docx) file.

Its so bad I cant use the software.  I hope this is resolved soon.

I cant share our story map because it is not yet public.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@StevenArnold -- We understand the issue is with editing and not viewing, but having access to public stories allows us to simulate builder mode for testing and troubleshooting purposes.

We understand if you can't share your story publicly, but if you can please work with Esri Support they can help collect important information and get access to your story for testing in other ways.

Owen Evans
Curt_H
by
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo Thanks for the attention to this. I have limited ability's to submit tickets through NPS unfortunately. Below is one of the SM's that sees the issue. Most or all of the data (and links) are only shared within the NIFC AGOL org account, or NPS. I wouldn't know if that will impact your troubleshooting efforts of course,  but its all I can do. 

Thanks again!

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/120b0c2a58824f179336304df8813ed9

Afie_lgeo
New Contributor II

I already have a case open with tech support but here is a link to the story map in case you need it again - https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/729bef9fb271450b8cb09d8ab35f865b