How to add links to the sections in the new story map sidecar

02-08-2020 12:28 PM
GRIDArendal
New Contributor II

How to create a  table of content so that one can navigate within the story map by clicking on the links?

I know it is possible with the classic story map as mentioned in the link but how to achieve similar functionality with the new story map format.

Thanks

Deb

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Deb,

Take a look at this blog post regarding navigation within the new Story Maps

What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (April 2020) 

Owen Evans,

Is there a way to have a custom hyperlink within the new story maps to jump to the navigation sections? I tried using the "&section=5" at the end of the link and it didn't really work for me...

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Adrian -- Those sorts of deep links aren't supported in stories yet, but we are planning to add that in a future release.

Those types of links are supported in collections. If you navigate to a specific item you can see that type of link in the address bar.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/1cc8e866b28343358da428b4221d3845?item=8 

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Owen,

Thanks for the info. I cannot view the link you posted. It says, "The story you are trying to access does not exist or you do not have access to it."

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Oops! Sorry, guess that item was unshared. Regardless, the format of the link is the same, and it applies to any other collection.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
GhisalloCyclingInitiative
New Contributor

Hi Owen, do you have an approximate timeline of the future release of the feature? Thanks!

0 Kudos
JulieGrindborg
New Contributor III

Hi, I am also curious when such a feature will be added? Right now a storymap I made is so long, and difficult to navigate without links to each sub section at the start of each section. I can not place links to everything (sections and sub sections) in the header menu, it takes too much space and makes it too chaotic. Thanks

RosemaryHatch2013
New Contributor II

Apologies for jumping on an old post, but I was also curious if there were any updates on adding links to sub sections (such as being able to include a table of contents, like Map Journal had) in the new story maps. Thanks!

@OwenGeo 

0 Kudos