Copy section link error

Jump to solution
10-12-2021 12:49 PM
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

KayceeFaunce_0-1634067475621.png

I noticed on an old published StoryMap that a "Copy section link" button has been added next to each of the section headers. This new feature does not appear to work when the StoryMap is being displayed in an iframe. I receive the error above when clicking the button while viewing the StoryMap through the iframe. When I visit the StoryMap on AGOL and try, it works.

My organization has very specific hosting and branding requirements that require us to use an iframe with the new StoryMap builder (note: please, please consider making these open source!). Is there a way to turn off this feature? Or is this a known bug that will be solved in a future update? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @KayceeFaunce -- Thanks for your note. This is a known issue that we are looking to address in one of our upcoming releases before the end of the year.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

10 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @KayceeFaunce -- Thanks for your note. This is a known issue that we are looking to address in one of our upcoming releases before the end of the year.

Owen Evans
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

Good to know - thanks, Owen!

0 Kudos
HeatherBell
Occasional Contributor

Hello, is there any word on when this may be fixed? We also have this issue. 

Thank you, 

Heather.

GIS Analyst @ The Rivers Trust
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@HeatherBell - Thanks for letting us know you are also running into this issue. We are still looking into a solution at this time and will bump the priority up so we can try to get this fixed soon. I apologize for the delay.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We've done more investigation into this issue, and it appears this is a security issue that depends on the parent webpage and the browser being used. Some browsers require a parent website to enable permission policy features for embedded sites to be allowed to write to the clipboard to enable copy/paste.

Copying the heading links (as well as embed code) is currently blocked for embedded stories in Chrome and Edge, but it works as expected in Firefox and Safari. It's entirely possible, however, that Firefox and Safari could adopt similar security policies in the future and the issue would then be present in those browsers as well.

If you embed a story in another page, it's entirely up to that page as to whether it allows embedded sites to access the clipboard (in the browsers that require this permission), so this is not something we can change on our end. However, we will look into updating the error message with more information when copying is not allowed by the parent page for those cases.

Since ArcGIS Hub was specifically mentioned in this thread, we will also talk with the Hub team to see if they are open to making a change to enable this. They would need to evaluate this request and I can't say whether or not it's compatible with their security policies, but I'll post here when I have more information.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KayceeFaunce
New Contributor III

Thanks for this update, @OwenGeo. Would it be possible to simply allow StoryMap creators to turn on/off the copy link ability in the published product? This would avoid error messages entirely for those of us who will need to continue to embed these products into an iframe in order to meet organizational branding requirements.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@KayceeFaunce - Thanks for this feedback and for providing information about your use case. Yes, we can look into something like as well.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AnnieKiernan
New Contributor

Hi, any new updates on this issue? Having this problem on a project I am working on currently.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AnnieKiernan @KayceeFaunce -- We are working on implementing a solution where the copy link buttons are not shown for stories or collections that are embedded in a place where the links cannot be copied.

We hope to release this sometime this month (June 2023).

Owen Evans