error 999999: error executing function, execution failed

Jump to solution
06-24-2021 05:42 AM
ArminAzad
New Contributor II

error 999999: error executing function
Hi, I am new and try to use ArcGIS tools. When I try to use a tool, say fill tool (a tool which corrects the elevation), the ArcGIS works correctly when I work on a single DEM.tif grid. However, when I use a merged picture, it fails. Can anyone kindly guide me?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
MaiELbanna
New Contributor

Hi Jayanta,

It worked.
I appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Armin - in reviewing the Fill geoprocessing tool parameters, it appears to only support a single band elevation  raster dataset vs a mosaic dataset.  A workaround is to use the Merge Geoprocessing tool and merge your multiple raster datasets into a single raster dataset and then run the Fill GP tool.

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Fill/ Flow Direction, etc. works fine on Mosaic Dataset (at least for me). I assume user must have added DEM (single-band) in his mosaic dataset. The user just needs to ensure the Raster values have reflected correctly in the resulting image of the Mosaic Dataset. Else one needs to Calculate Statistics for the Mosaic Dataset before using it for analysis.

Think Location
0 Kudos
RachelGomez
New Contributor II

Tips  to Fix the Esri 999999 Error
Repair Your Geometry. A common culprit of the 999999 Esri error is small geometry errors in your vector data.
Turn Off Background Processing. 
Geoprocess in Chunks. 
Rewrite Your Output File Name. 
Swap Null Values to Zero. 
Raster Problems. 
Delete Your Temp Folder. 
Just Do It in QGIS.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

0 Kudos
FakeName
New Contributor II

Interesting comment but there really aren't any valid tips to fix ESRI:s 999999 Error. This error, by definition, is "unexpected" and without a known cause.

With respect to the actual question posed by ArminAzad, the error arises when running a Fill on a DEM.

When faced with en error in this situation, the best course of action is typically to reduce the size of the input. I.e. use ClipRaster to reduce the DEM by 50% and then run the Fill. Does it still crash? If not, then the problem has been identified. However, one thing I would never recommend is to try and run RepairGeometry on a raster elevation model 😬

0 Kudos