QuickCapture crashes on splash screen on iPad Mini (5th gen) version 14.7.1

08-16-2021 06:04 AM
WillHouston
New Contributor III

When I tried to open QuickCapture on an iPad Mini (5th gen) version 14.7.1 this morning, it would hit the splash screen then close after a few seconds. There were no logs recorded as far as I could tell. I tried restarting the iPad to no avail. The iPad had been updated last week, and I do not believe I used QuickCapture between the system update and today. It was crashing before and after I applied the August 2021 update. I had made no changes to any QuickCapture projects.

To resolve I reinstalled QuickCapture.

edit: as AndrewDeLuca pointed out in a comment, this is not a permanent fix. I was able to use it for over an hour without issue, but it started crashing again.

Tags (2)
27 Replies
AndrewDeLuca
New Contributor III

Hi Cara - Thanks for finding this problem again before I had my staff update their iOS. Have you downloaded 15.3 and still have the problem?

0 Kudos
CaraSmith1
New Contributor

Not yet, but may be worth a try to see if that fixes it.

0 Kudos
AndrewDeLuca
New Contributor III

Hi Cara, I am unable to replicate the issue you describe with my EOS Arrow 100 GNSS receiver connected by bluetooth to my ipad mini. I updated my iOS to 15.3 prior to testing, so maybe that will fix your problem? I have some staff going to use QuickCapture more extensively on Thursday so if they run into the problem you describe I will let you know.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

The original issue was that the app was crashing when re-opening after configuring it to use an external GNSS receiver. There was no problem when the receiver was initially configured, it was only after closing & re-opening the app (attempts to automatically reconnect to receiver) that the crash occured on the splash screen. @CaraSmith1 is this the case for you?

0 Kudos
CaraSmith1
New Contributor

I am going to try and reconfigure the GNSS receiver and see if that solves it for the iPad mini.  But the crash occurs when using the internal wifi as well on the mini, so not too confident about that. I thought is was the points and tracks that I was sending to the same base map I was using in Quik Capture so I could see trail data captured in relation to soils, slope classes, etc, but I tried it on just a very slimmed down base and that did not solve it ...  Field work done for this week using Arc Explorer to see almost real time, but had to use the iPhone and switch applications which ran down the battery faster.  So will try the suggestions this weekend and see if next week goes any better.   

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Please feel free to email us on QuickCapture@esri.com and we can help you troubleshoot the issue.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm wondering if I'm having a similar issue. I don't use a GNSS, but I when going through settings QC asked permission for bluetooth (I declined) and now whenever I open the app it shows the splash screen, sends me to iOS settings, and won't open QC.

I have 15 records that are not uploading and I'm getting the following errors after trying everything. I don't want to uninstall the app in fears of losing the data.

ZacJust_0-1671494003675.png

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi ZacJust

I dont think this issue is related to Bluetooth permisions. But you should not uninstall the app, as this will remove the data. The logs are not too helpfull, so it would be great to take a look.

Could you email quickcapture@esri.com so we can arrange a call?

0 Kudos