Select to view content in your preferred language

How to block mobile workers from entering the portal

Jump to solution
04-28-2023 04:10 PM
SandraMarquez
New Contributor

How to block mobile workers from entering the ArcGIS Enterprise Portal? I have created a group of QuickCapture users with no editing capabilities but I do not want them to seek items within the organization's portal
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

How to block mobile workers from entering the portal?

Don't give them an account. By giving them a profile, you are giving them access to the portal environment, and content shared to the portal may be accessible to them. You can restrict the content they can access, but at face value, they are signing into your portal. I highlight this as it's technically the answer to the question, and a slip of administration down the track (elevating user role) may expose content, in a way that could be avoided if you never gave them a login.

I have created a group of QuickCapture users with no editing capabilities

Not sure on why you would do this, as mobile workers would want to edit using QuickCapture?

I do not want them to seek items within the organization's portal

This we can actually answer, and you'd want to consider this in line with your broader portal's security settings and policies. For sharing and access items:

I'd recommend any ArcGIS Online or Enterprise administrator to consider the security of their organization as a whole, who has admin access, who can share content, who can get access, and how these privileges get assigned. Some resources are available online, in documentation, e.g. video below. Lots of similarities in portal management for ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise general practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RDx_SQIYFE

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

How to block mobile workers from entering the portal?

Don't give them an account. By giving them a profile, you are giving them access to the portal environment, and content shared to the portal may be accessible to them. You can restrict the content they can access, but at face value, they are signing into your portal. I highlight this as it's technically the answer to the question, and a slip of administration down the track (elevating user role) may expose content, in a way that could be avoided if you never gave them a login.

I have created a group of QuickCapture users with no editing capabilities

Not sure on why you would do this, as mobile workers would want to edit using QuickCapture?

I do not want them to seek items within the organization's portal

This we can actually answer, and you'd want to consider this in line with your broader portal's security settings and policies. For sharing and access items:

I'd recommend any ArcGIS Online or Enterprise administrator to consider the security of their organization as a whole, who has admin access, who can share content, who can get access, and how these privileges get assigned. Some resources are available online, in documentation, e.g. video below. Lots of similarities in portal management for ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Enterprise general practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RDx_SQIYFE

0 Kudos