Why is Summarize Elevation not working?

12-06-2018 09:40 AM
EvanMorgan2
New Contributor II

The tool Summarize Elevation is not producing the typical fields ie Min, Mean, and Max elevation field values, although fields like Dem Res, Product Name, Source, Source URL are being produced.

Has anyone encountered this issue before?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having this same issue, it only returns the elevation info if the resolution is left blank. If you select a resolution, it populates the raster source fields but not the elevation values. Did you find a solution? Tech support is looking in to it.

0 Kudos
ColeAndrews
Occasional Contributor III

Evan Morgan‌, didn't hear if you ever got this working, but esri tech support couldn't figure out what was wrong with the service so they logged a bug. My polygons spanned across an entire state, so their hunch is that the issue is with the areal scope of the polygons. That said, the analysis "succeeds" and returns a feature class, even though there is an obvious error. Hope they resolve it soon.

PLS_KateGladstein
New Contributor III

This still hasn't been fixed in 2022. The tool will only work if the resolution field is blank. 90m DEM is not very precise. I have a statewide 30m DEM I'd prefer to use over the 90m, but going with the other processing method I can think of (raster to polygon, summarize within) won't execute raster to polygon correctly and only produces some of the values. I can't think of any other way to calculate mean elevation for these polygons.

edit: I guess it took me posting about my frustration to finally get it to work. Here's what I did:

• The tool won't work unless there are fewer than 1000 objects to summarize
  • AND they must be as spatially near to each other as possible (found that tip on https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000012288).
  • Also clipped out the ocean in case that was causing the tool to fail (https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/305251/summarize-elevation-in-arcgis-pro-not-working).
  • This tool does NOT batch or stack in a queue so they must be done one at a time.
  • Some runs of the same feature class will allow "finest" selected for the resolution while that will cause other runs to fail.
    • When it fails, try running it on default (90m - yuck) and then try again on "finest". There's no reason why this should work, but it did.
    • If it still fails, split your input feature class into two smaller feature classes (by spatial area) and try again.