Why can't I add the Basemap for "USGS National Map" on both ArcMap & ArcPro?

Jump to solution
01-31-2023 06:35 AM
Labels (2)
KFung_TLC
Occasional Contributor

I need to put USGS Topo map(s) as a background for my map production. For some reason when I add that option from "Basemap" & choose "USGS National Map" there is nothing show up, unlike other options (it works fine for "USA Topo Maps" or "Terrain with Labels" or other "Topographic" etc).  It issue occurred in both ArcMap & ArcPro. Do you know what happen to that particular layer (USGS National Map)? Is that some setting(s) I need to fix. Appreciated your assistance!

Ken

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KFung_TLC
Occasional Contributor

That may be the issue--we are still currently using Windows Server 2012 r2 for our org. Our IT is on the process of migrating all GIS work to cloud. Hopefully that can resolve that weird bug.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are using Windows Server 2012 R2, then you won't be able to use the USGS National Map.  This really isn't an Esri issue at all, it is a cipher suite mismatch between the Windows OS and the USGS web tier.  I mostly point the finger at USGS because it would be rather simple and straightforward to securely allow continued access to USGS National Map from Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.

KFung_TLC
Occasional Contributor

Thanks again. Finger crossed when we have cloud system. USGS makes things complicated

0 Kudos