Why can't I add the Basemap for "USGS National Map" on both ArcMap & ArcPro?

Jump to solution
01-31-2023 06:35 AM
Labels (2)
KFung_TLC
New Contributor III

I need to put USGS Topo map(s) as a background for my map production. For some reason when I add that option from "Basemap" & choose "USGS National Map" there is nothing show up, unlike other options (it works fine for "USA Topo Maps" or "Terrain with Labels" or other "Topographic" etc).  It issue occurred in both ArcMap & ArcPro. Do you know what happen to that particular layer (USGS National Map)? Is that some setting(s) I need to fix. Appreciated your assistance!

Ken

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are using Windows Server 2012 R2, then you won't be able to use the USGS National Map.  This really isn't an Esri issue at all, it is a cipher suite mismatch between the Windows OS and the USGS web tier.  I mostly point the finger at USGS because it would be rather simple and straightforward to securely allow continued access to USGS National Map from Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you browse to your org's basemap group? Make sure that the web map that basemap is coming from is the current supported version, and that it is shared properly with your org members.

jcarlson_0-1675177043986.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

I can add the USGS National Map in ArcGIS Pro without any issues (see attached).  What I did was go to the Catalog Pane->click the far right icon for Living Atlas, filter on Basemaps and search for USGS National Map.  It's a web map.  I right-clicked on it and selected "Add and Open".  It adds to a new Map View in ArcGIS Pro without any issues.  What is your workflow?
USGSNationalMap.JPG

KFung_TLC
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply. Robert I try your suggestion first to bypass the basemap--but the screenshot show it was blank.

Josh--I did not check if it is in my org's basemap group. I normally just browse it on ArcGIS Online or Living Atlas. Is that some procedure I need to do beforehand?

Thanks

Ken

0 Kudos
KFung_TLC
New Contributor III

Screenshot 2023-01-31 USGS.jpg

0 Kudos
KFung_TLC
New Contributor III

BTW USGS map works well when on arcgis.com--I just have issues once on desktop (ArcMap & ArcPro)

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Okay - so I'm thinking it's an unsupported Operating System on your server/desktop.  What operating system are you using?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What operating system are you running?  The USGS National Map has a very narrow TLS cipher suite that doesn't work with older MS operating systems.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Joshua - I think you're on to something.  There is BUG-000149585 - ArcGIS Pro on Windows Server 2012 R2 has compatibility issues with accessing USGS Topo basemap (and others) although it is listed as a basemap option.  Upgrading the OS from Windows Server 2012 R2 to a newer version resolves the issue.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yep, I logged that defect.  My organization had approached USGS about adding a couple additional strong ciphers to their web tier, but we eventually got ghosted by them.