Using Split tool to edit a multipart feature

02-13-2018 09:59 AM
MikeW
by
New Contributor III

have an inner ring produced from a negative buffer on a multipart polygon (Virginia, USA). I would like to create a "coastal strip" polygon by using the split tool. However, when I use the split tool it excludes the Eastern Shore area (to the east) even if I draw the split around the region (red line from first image below). If there a way to include this portion in my feature split without having to do an Explode to Merge geoprocess?

This is my result... can I split and still include the separated portion to the right?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You have to use the MultiPartToSinglePart tool unless you want to code and select the part from the multipart, discarding the rest.

0 Kudos
MikeW
by
New Contributor III

Sorry, to clarify the ring polygon is a single feature... is it necessary for me to explode it in order to get my desired result?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the polygon on the island to the east does not get selected when you click on the record in the table, then you don't have a multipart shape, but the two shapes are separate.  Your split splits the polygon as shown in your image, but the east poly* does not get split since there is no intersection going on.  Perhaps you want to clip or remove (erase?) as Jayanta suggests, but it isn't clear what you want to happen to it from your description

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Try the following steps.

1. First Clip the multipart feature using the ovarlaying polygon (red region).

2. Using Update tool, update the multipart feature with the above clipped feature.

Think Location
0 Kudos
MikeW
by
New Contributor III

I think I was just overthinking it... here's what I did to get my desired result (see image):

1. Select the single feature created from the multi-ring buffer tool.

2. Use the Split tool to separate the coast from the interior.

3. Use the Explode editing tool to separate all the parts into different features.

4. Use the Merge editing tool to group the desired features into a single feature.

End result