Uncontrolled zoom out on layout view arcgis pro

Jump to solution
02-22-2018 11:57 AM
SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

I have attached a screen capture of ArcGIS Pro behavior.  In the short video I click the navigate tool (not shown) and press the shift key as it was my understanding that this would allow me to Window zoom in a part of the map that I am interested in.  Instead pressing the shift key causes the zoom of the layout to zoomout to infinity.  Why is this happening? and why would anyone want it to happen?  It is maddeningly frustrating.  similar types of behavior occur when I try to use "Select".  This behavior seems to be limited to when the Layout is the activated

I also might add that similar to ArcGIS desktop behavior requiring some combination of pressing "C" or using the Shift key to reset the current tool; I seem perpetually stuck in a rotate view behavior that pressing "C" or "shift" doesn't seem  to fix.  

35 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

For those on the thread with Webroot, please try the steps that Ellen has shared and let us know whether that works.

0 Kudos
LoganSuhr_PSE
New Contributor III

For the last two weeks I have been testing Ellen's workflow.  Since turning Identity Shield off, I have not experienced the cursor issue.  Thanks Ellen!

RobertKirkwood
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having the same problem as well, and i am using Arcmap 10.7. I have tried all solutions but the layout keeps zooming away. I have Webroot installed as well and cannot change settings due to it being an enterprise set up. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As the IT Admin of my organization, I've set impacted user's workstation to Unmanaged on the Webroot Admin Console, this allows users to go into their Webroot console and turn off their Identity Shield. After giving the above instructions to user's, the bug is not occuring. 

0 Kudos
JarinStewart
New Contributor

This has been an ongoing issue for us for almost a year. The problem I was having should be documented in our account notes. Webroot is the culprit and the only way to get around it is to shut Webroot off. Our IT provider is looking into Ellen's solution, but until then Webroot gets turned off.

This is also a problem for AutoCAD. I have been told CAD has issued a patch for this problem.

Thanks,

Jarin

AdamKurowski
New Contributor II

Hi.  I've been battling with this problem for awhile too.  I have reported it to ESRI and Webroot.  ESRI says they are working on a patch, WebRoot is less solution seeking.  However, I believe I have solid workaround.  My ArcMap and Pro have been stable for 2 days since making this change.

1. Log out of all instances of ESRI ArcGIS and Pro. You may have to go to your task bar, near the clock to log out
  2. Open Internet Explorer
  3. Tools > Compatibility View Settings
  4. Add arcgis.com

This is strange fix, but one of my IT staff had seen something like this before and this was the first thing she tried.  You'll note that ArcMap and Pro both have some level of communication with ArcGIS Online.  I don't have an explanation as to why this worked, so maybe someone else can add their thoughts on this.

Adam

RobertKirkwood

Has this problem been fixed? This is a 2 year old thread and i think they should have more information for us by now? I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.5 and we also use Webroot. We have no access modify the Webroot settings. 

0 Kudos
SamMontoia1
New Contributor III

For me, our organization switched to a different web security provider not because of this issue, but for other reasons. So I haven’t experienced the problem since then. I reckon if you’re dealing with the uncontrolled zoom out it hasn’t been fixed; but I haven’t seen anything in particular to confirm or deny a fix.

0 Kudos
RobertKirkwood

Thank you for the update.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This behavior was submitted as the following bug: BUG-000086476: The Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Pan tools from the toolba.. 

The additional information section explains the conclusion.

Additional Information

Esri has investigated this issue and found it to be caused by certain antivirus software. Please work with the users' antivirus vendor to determine the appropriate security settings to resolve interference with ArcGIS software.

0 Kudos