Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcMap to ArcPro: Georeferenced Rasters

10-17-2023 09:05 AM
Labels (2)
WilliamCole
Occasional Contributor
Wednesday

This environment is Windows 10 22H2, Desktop ArcMap 10.8.1 and ArcGIS Pro 3.x.

I have imported an.mxd map along with its .gdb geodatabase from ArcMap into ArcGIS Pro.  The import brought the Table of Contents from ArcMap into ArcGIS Pro and placed all of the layers as they were in ArcMap.  The ArcMap ToC has two groups of layers: the first contains all of the project's individual maps with symbology.  The second group contains all of the georeferenced historical "base" maps which are attached to the underlying base via their control tables.

In ArcMap, georeferencing an historic map created a control table used to attach that map to the base map.  Repeating this process for each of the 30-some historic maps in my project created a "mosaic" of historic maps attached to the base map.  [This is not a mosaic created with the ArcMap Mosaic tool. I was learning ArcGIS and didn't know about mosaics until after I had done the georeferencing work.]  While this method worked for ArcMap it clearly doesn't for ArcGIS Pro.  

In ArcGIS Pro I am able to attach one georeferenced .jpg file to my base topographic layer and to import the control table for that raster which places it properly on the base map.

However, if I try to add a subsequent georeferenced image with its control table -as I was able to do in ArcMap-  ArcGIS Pro asks "Do you want to erase the existing control points?"  Answering Yes replaces the existing control points associated with the first raster with the control points for the second raster, thereby placing the first raster image at the location for the second.  Answering No appends the second set of control points to the existing control points for the first raster image ... making a mess.

What am I doing wrong and what do I need to know to fix this, please?

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
0 Replies