Snapping to point when Rematching

12-03-2020 11:45 AM
ChipBrownHBG
New Contributor III

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.6 (on a remote computer) to rematch addresses after geocoding.

I'd like the "Pick From Map" tool to snap to an existing point. Snapping to points is on, snapping to the point layer is turned on.

Am I missing something to get this to work?

Thanks for thoughts.

Chip

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chip - the "Pick from Map" functionality uses the map to get the latitude/longitude of the location to generate a candidate list in the lower portion of the pane.  You click the candidate in the list you like and click Match.  The workflow does not using existing point FC and snapping to generate the list hence the workflow you're seeing.  Hope this helps!

ChipBrownHBG
New Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response.  That makes sense.  I was not expecting it to pick up the information from the point FC, just to get the location.  I was hoping it to snap to the point so that it would have the same coordinates as an existing point.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yep - understand what you're saying.  It seems this part of the ArcGIS Pro User Interface does not honor snap settings.  Just my guess.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Just curious to know if there were candidates in the Rematch Addresses pane for the address you were trying to Pick on the Map expecting to snap to the existing point. Was the existing point you were trying to snap to in the feature class used to build the locator you were geocoding with?

I'm trying to understand your workflow to see if what you were trying to do is something that we would consider adding to ArcGIS Pro. The ArcMap 'Pick Address from Map' had an option to "Match to Address Location" that snapped to the nearest address returned by the locator versus "Match to Click Point"  that snaps to the location you clicked.

Thanks,

Shana

0 Kudos
ChipBrownHBG
New Contributor III

Thanks for your question, Shana.

I do not think there were candidates in the Rematch Pane and the address was an existing address in the feature class I was using in the geocoder. For what ever reason the addresses in question were not matching automatically and there were no candidates listed.

In these cases, I found the "Match to address location" function in ArcMap useful and was surprised not to see it in ArcGIS pro.

This has come up again recently so I am glad that it under consideration to be included.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chip:

For the addresses that did not have candidates in the Rematch Addresses pane, were there candidates returned for the address in the Locate pane?

Are you still using ArcGIS Pro 2.6? Which tool did you use to create the locator that you are using to geocode with? I'm trying to understand why there were no candidates if the feature existed in the data used to build the locator.

Thanks,

Shana

0 Kudos
ChipBrownHBG
New Contributor III
This might be user error in that the points with no matches or suggestions in the rematch pane or the Locate pane are not in the original data used to build the Locator. It makes sense that there would be no suggestions since it doesn't exist.
Maybe the situation I am running into is that I am geocoding addresses from an outside source to our City address based Locator and if those outside source addresses have typos or addresses that are not in our city address point data, they will not have a match or suggestions. Do I have that right?
My workflow: when I review the addresses and try to rematch them manually, and I notice that there is a typo (like 1002 N Main St and it is supposed to be 1020 N Main St) I want to match the outside address to the correct locator address and this is where I'd like to snap to an existing address. Does that all make sense?
(As an aside, I think I've tried to update the typo in the dataset, but it still did not match when I rematch. I am probably updating the address in the wrong table or field. If I wanted to "clean" the imported/outside table and then rematch addresses, what table/field would I edit and then run the rematch? Does that question make sense?)
You asked for other information as well...I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2
I am not sure what tool was used to create the address locator originally, but it was rebuilt using the Rebuild Address Locator too in ArcCatalog, 10.6.1. (do you advise creating a new locator in ArcGIS Pro? Will this be compatible with ArcMap 10.6.1? The majority of our users are still using that until we update to the 10.8 in the coming months)
Thanks for your thoughts on all of this. Please direct me towards a tutorial/support on using geolocators if that seems appropriate.
Chip
0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Chip:

Correct, if the address doesn't exist in the data used to build the locator then no matches or suggestions are returned. If your city's data does not account for outside address typos or addresses not in your city data, you will not get matches or suggestions.

If your rematch workflow is happening in ArcGIS Pro 2.9.2 you have the ability to rematch the unmatched using a new locator as described in the 'Match with new locator' section of the rematch help topic. https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/geocoding/rematch-locations-converted-from-a-tabl... You also have the ability to match a selected group of records in the geocode result and match them all to a specific address using the 'Match all selected' button. Your workflow makes sense.

If you used ArcGIS Pro to geocode the table and used the default output fields setting (All), then editing the fields prefixed with IN_ in the geocode result will update the fields used to generate candidates for that record and allow you to fix the typos. If you select all of the records that you modified, you can click the Auto rematch button and it will redo the matching process.

It sounds like the locator was built with the Create Address Locator tool in either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro 2.6 or earlier, but you can confirm this by opening the Locator Properties for the locator you are using in ArcGIS Pro and look for release or version on the About the locator page. If it says 'Style release', then it was created with the Create Address Locator tool. Locators built with this tool are deprecated and will be fully deprecated in ArcGIS Pro 3.0 https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000027452 so you will want to update those locators using the Create Locator tool before upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.0. The locators built with the Create Locator and Create Feature Locator tools cannot be used in ArcMap unless they are published as a service to ArcGIS Server 10.9.1 or earlier from ArcGIS Pro.
I would encourage you to recreate your locators with the Create Locator tool so that you can take advantage of the improvements we've made to geocoding and locators.

Here are some resources for building locators and tuning the properties:

0 Kudos
ChipBrownHBG
New Contributor III

Here is a better example where no suggests come up in either the Rematch Address Pane or the Locate Pane:

830 Sand Trap Ln does not pull up any suggested matches even though 830 Sandtrap Ln exists in the locator/locator dataset.

Is that expected or should it suggest the Sandtrap address that exists?

0 Kudos