Schedule Python scripts to run in ArcGIS Pro

Jump to solution
03-25-2022 01:04 PM
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I have written some python scripts to automate some of the daily geoprocessing tasks.  I currently have these tasks set to automatically run in Windows task scheduler.  I recently learned that I can schedule these tasks in the ArcGIS Pro desktop environment.  I have a few test schedules created to run tonight.  My main question is, will the schedules run if the desktop isn't open?  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can check in the task scheduler.

jcarlson_0-1648239650254.png

Or do you mean Pro being open or not? They should still run even if Pro is closed. It's been a while since I had an ArcGIS Pro specific script, but it ran every night without fail, and I didn't leave Pro up when I left at night.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

All I've seen Pro do is wrap the tool up into a script and enter into task scheduler, is there something different it can do?  Any scheduled tasks I have in Pro I just edit them in Task Scheduler to run when not logged in and as a service account etc.

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, you are correct.  Since this is the first time I have tried scheduling something through ArcGIS Pro.  I did notice it is in my windows task scheduler too, but didn't know if I needed to leave ArcGIS Pro desktop open?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can check in the task scheduler.

jcarlson_0-1648239650254.png

Or do you mean Pro being open or not? They should still run even if Pro is closed. It's been a while since I had an ArcGIS Pro specific script, but it ran every night without fail, and I didn't leave Pro up when I left at night.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you J!  I will just try closing Pro to see if it runs.  If not, I may need to modify the task in windows task scheduler.

Also, thank you  @DavidPike for your input.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Yeh it's fine to have Pro closed, it's just like running an arcpy script.  Just look into the properties of the Task Scheduler job it creates and ensure everything is set as you need.

BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

If it fails, check to see if your security team blocks any required privileges in AD Group Policy.

For example:

Log on as a batch job

Log on as as a service

ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Just a Monday update, my scheduled tasks ran properly Friday night and early this morning.  Thank you to everyone on this post for your help!

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

How did you do this in Pro?