Rotated points are not rotating properly in map series layout

03-31-2021 06:18 PM
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to create a sign plan for a linear project going through a state park and crossing trails.  The plan is supposed to show what signs go where to direct trail users in the right direction and should be facing the way a trail user would encounter them in the field.  So I created feature classes for each type of sign and have an attribute for rotation to get them lined up with trails.  It looks just great in the map.  I then created a strip map index feature class and created a map series from it using the angle of the strip map to rotate into the map frame.  The problem is that the resulting signs are all facing the wrong direction in the map series now.  I have included screenshots in the map that show them facing the correct directions and the same location in the map series showing how they result there.

JustinJohnston_0-1617239688962.png

JustinJohnston_1-1617239758055.png

Please help if you know how to fix this rotation issue.

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I haven't used a strip index before, but do the index features have a rotation attribute?

Instead of pulling the rotation directly from the feature class attribute, you could have an expression that evaluates the index feature's rotation and calculates the index rotation - feature rotation to cancel it out.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JustinJohnston
Occasional Contributor II

I suspect that you are right, but

1. That will require me to update a bunch of feature classes by adding a calculate field that takes the current roation that is based on a north south oriented map and calculates the rotation I need for the layout.  Lots of extra steps and my ArcGIS Pro is taking forever to open attribute tables for some reason.  Not sure if network related, the project is somehow getting bloated, or ArcGIS Pro is just that slow.

2. That will make all of the points rotated incorrectly when viewing them on the map in order to be viewed correctly on the layout.  

My work around right now sucks.  I am just using a Grid Index oriented north/south and redoing the layout to fit as best I can.  It results in the map looking off since all of the features are running on an angle through the layout map frame.  At least the signs point in the right direction though.

Cheers,

Justin

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I know you can "lock" the rotation of label features, though it seems strange that ability seems missing in symbols.

It seems kind of backwards, but could you use label classes instead of symbols? Then the map setting would keep your labels located the way you want in all situations.

jcarlson_0-1617243867088.png

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JeffBarrette
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Justin,

I may not completely understand your scenario but have you tried modifying the symbol properties on the layer by setting it to the same rotation field the strip map uses?  Go to the properties of the symbol and click the burger control (3 horizontal lines in the upper right corner).  From there you can get to the properties in the screen grab below:

Capture.PNG